Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Default Painting 17 foot foyer with extension ladder??

I am going to some day paint the ceiling and the walls in our 17 foot high
foyer and replace the light fixture. Home Depot has reasonable rates on ten
foot scaffolding but there is a section that I can not reach with the
scaffolding. We have four steps up to a landing and then a right angle for
the rest of the steps to the second floor. I could use extension poles, etc
to do that part which is above the stairway but I was wondering about using
my 16 foot extension ladder there. My concern is will the wall be able to
support the ladder and me [I weigh 230 lbs] without damage or even breakage?
The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16 inches. The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
wannabe

Steven L Umbach wrote:
I am going to some day paint the ceiling and the walls in our 17 foot high
foyer ... damage or even breakage?
The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16 inches. The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

I would think a 10" step ladder would be nice.

for cutting in at the very top, I used a broom...
it worked really nice and quick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
wannabe

Steven L Umbach wrote:
I am 16 inches. The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

The walls will hold you.

What about your ceiling light, you would need to be able to reach 17'
right.

If you can reach light from extension ladder, then that would be better
than
step ladder.

You can always turn around on the ladder, sorta sit down, and paint the
opposite wall.
AND fix the light.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Thanks. I do have a ten foot step ladder but the scaffolding is a must to
change the light fixture. At our previous house I did duct tape a paint
brush to a pole to get the awkward spots. --- Steve

"wannabe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steven L Umbach wrote:
I am going to some day paint the ceiling and the walls in our 17 foot
high
foyer ... damage or even breakage?
The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16 inches.
The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

I would think a 10" step ladder would be nice.

for cutting in at the very top, I used a broom...
it worked really nice and quick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Thanks again. I thought the walls should hold. The light ceiling box is four
foot from the nearest wall so from what I can tell and extension ladder is
out. A step ladder would need to be 14 foot for me to do it comfortably. HD
said $22 a day for the ten foot high scaffolding so I think I am going to
try that as it should also be easier to use to paint the ceiling,
particularly at the edges than the 14 foot step ladder and also allow me to
change the light fixture. --- Steve

"wannabe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steven L Umbach wrote:
I am 16 inches. The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

The walls will hold you.

What about your ceiling light, you would need to be able to reach 17'
right.

If you can reach light from extension ladder, then that would be better
than
step ladder.

You can always turn around on the ladder, sorta sit down, and paint the
opposite wall.
AND fix the light.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wannabe wrote:
Steven L Umbach wrote:
I am going to some day paint the ceiling and the walls in our 17
foot high foyer ... damage or even breakage?
The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16
inches. The ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks.
--- Steve

I would think a 10" step ladder would be nice.

Gee, I don't think a 10 inch step later would help much. :-)

I have a 17+ foot area and I used an extension ladder to hang wall
paper. No damage to the walls.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Other tools are better choices, but a carpet-covered 20" board lashed to the
top of the ladder, such that it prevents any hard edges pressing on the
drywall and spreads the load, would probably keep the drywall safe. 2 or 3
cable ties laced through holes on the board before you wrap and staple the
carpet scrap, should hold it in place. (don't use duct tape- the gray rubs
off) Doesn't need to be strong, just not shift around. I'd be more worried
about bottom end of ladder slipping on polished floor or loose carpet and
hopping down a step- find some way to jam-fit a block, or tie it off, if you
can. And like any high work, never work alone- you want somebody to call
911if you fall or get upside down with a leg through the rungs. (Hey, it
happens to people who work on ladders every day.)

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
my 16 foot extension ladder there. My concern is will the wall be able to
support the ladder and me [I weigh 230 lbs] without damage or even
breakage? The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16
inches. The ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. ---
Steve

I used mine for just that (twice now) and I have 20 pounds on you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis Turner

On 12/6/2005 5:12 PM or thereabouts, Steven L Umbach appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

I am going to some day paint the ceiling and the walls in our 17 foot high
foyer and replace the light fixture. Home Depot has reasonable rates on ten
foot scaffolding but there is a section that I can not reach with the
scaffolding. We have four steps up to a landing and then a right angle for
the rest of the steps to the second floor. I could use extension poles, etc
to do that part which is above the stairway but I was wondering about using
my 16 foot extension ladder there. My concern is will the wall be able to
support the ladder and me [I weigh 230 lbs] without damage or even breakage?
The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16 inches. The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

I painted my 20 foot high foyer from an extension ladder with no damage
to the drywall. I did have one rather frightening moment, however. The
floor was marble tile at the time (since redone in hardwood), and as I
was painting I felt the ladder begin to move down the wall. My mind was
filled with visions of myself splattered all over that hard marble.
Fortunately, however, the ladder stopped slipping when it fell off the 6
inch step down into the living room and reached carpet. I was certainly
shaken, but not splattered.

Be aware that those rubber feet on the ladder don't necessarily grip
well on very slick floors.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Thanks for sharing that - yikes. Luckily where I need to use the ladder the
feet will be on the stairs and blocked by the back of the stairs. ---
Steve

"Dennis Turner" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Great idea on creating a backplate. Luckily I will be in the stairway so the
feet of the ladder will be on a stair. I try not to do anything that could
be dangerous alone! --- Steve

"ameijers" wrote in message
news

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:12:08 -0600, "Steven L Umbach"
wrote:

I am going to some day paint the ceiling and the walls in our 17 foot high
foyer and replace the light fixture. Home Depot has reasonable rates on ten
foot scaffolding but there is a section that I can not reach with the
scaffolding. We have four steps up to a landing and then a right angle for
the rest of the steps to the second floor. I could use extension poles, etc
to do that part which is above the stairway but I was wondering about using
my 16 foot extension ladder there. My concern is will the wall be able to
support the ladder and me [I weigh 230 lbs] without damage or even breakage?
The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16 inches. The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

Take a 3 foot piece of 1X4 or 2x4 and fasten it across the top end otf
the ladder, so the board leans against the wall with the ladder rungs
against it. If your ladder is wood, just screw it to the ladder. If
the ladder is metal or fiberglass, you'll have to be creative with
duct tape or clamps of some sort to keep it attached to the ladder.
You can even put a scrap of carpeting or foam onto the board to
prevent scratching the wall. Doing this means the ladder weight will
be spread evenly across the walls and likely catch 2 studs, unless you
have spacing over 16".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:03:31 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

[...]

What kind of duct tape do you use? I never had that happen !!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:34:07 -0600, Dennis Turner
wrote:

[...]

I must admit you got me laughing reading this.... I could just picture
it.... Why people put in slippery floors like that I will never
understand. You are correct about the rubber feet on ladders dont
work the best. I had a ladder slip down a round pole in my barn. It
went all the way down. I just stayed on the ladder till I was looking
at the floor. Then I used some words I could not post on the
internet, and stood the laddetr back up. This time I tied the bottom
of it to the post on both sides to prevent slipping. This occured on
concrete that was wet. (I was raining and I only had half the roof
on).

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have access to the attic above the light fixture in the foyer
you may be able to
do what I have done. I moved the electric box a few inches over in the
ceiling from the attic, and lowered a rope that is used to pull up my
light fixture to the ceiling. The fixture's chain is fastened in the
attic using a thin pipe put into a link in the chain that then rests
between the rafters. Nice and secure. Finally I connected the wires to
the electric box. The hole in the ceiling is covered by attaching the
fixture plate cover to the chain before I pulled it up, so that it
ended up flush with the ceiling, covering the hole. When a light needs
to be changed or the fixture needs to be cleaned I simpley disconnect
and lower.

Posted to alt.home.repair
chickenwing

Steven L Umbach wrote:
Thanks for that info. I feel a bit better now. --- Steve

you mean you ain't done yet?

This thread is 2 days old...

I figure you would have done finished painting
hehehe