Posted to alt.home.repair
JTurner

Default One More Flooring Question (Vabor Barrier)

Alright, thanks to all of you that have responded to my posts so far
I've gotten a lot of helpful tips and advice. I went to LL today and
they actually told me that it was OK to use this liquid moisture
barrier and the MVP glue to glue down 3/4 in. I told them they were
full of crap and no installer would every do this. So I've decided to
go with a subfloor.

When I ripped up the old flooring I found that the concrete wasn't
tension concrete so I can nail the wood into the concrete to create the
subfloor! woohoo. I had the guy put down 6mil vapor barrier then
cabinet grade 3/4 in plywood on top. When he put the vapor barrier down
he didn't overlap all of the seams he just taped them together. I need
to have him overlap all of the seams right ? Sorry for all of these
rediculous questions, I feel that I know more about flooring know then
the guy who's installing them! This guy also thought he could buy a
moisture meter at home depot for 20 bucks....its amazing how little you
have to know to be a liscence and bonded contracter.

Does anyone have any experience with the felt pad that has a plastic
moisture barrier on top of it ? LL told me i could use this instead of
using the moisture barrier beaneath the subfloor. I decided to go with
both so the layers will go.

cement
moisture barrier
plywood
felt
moisture barrier
wood

Thanks Again!

J.

P.S. I'll post pictures of the finished project (if anyone cares).
Should look nice with the new base boards too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yaofeng

Leave 1/8" gaps between plywood sheets.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JTurner

Yao -

Yeah i have gaps between the plywood but does the moisture barrier need
over lap ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mulderig

JTurner wrote:
Yao -

Yeah i have gaps between the plywood but does the moisture barrier need
over lap ?

Yes, the vapor barrier seams need to overlap by about 6 inches and you
should then seal the seams with builders (tyvek) tape. It takes care of
moisture and soil gases that can migrate upwards.
M.
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

For moisture it it must read something like 15%, im not sure on the
exact % you must have, you need to research that before you install.
Humidity is not the same as wood moisture. I would test the concrete
also, one meter will do both, that will let you know what treatment is
needed. A 20$ meter, maybe, On E bay they are alot more than 20. I have
a Delmhorst or delmhurst? 250$

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2005-12-06, JTurner wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the felt pad that has a plastic
moisture barrier on top of it ? LL told me i could use this instead of
using the moisture barrier beaneath the subfloor. I decided to go with
both so the layers will go.

I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression that two moisture barriers
is a bad idea, because any moisture that ever makes it in between them
will never dissipate. Of course, since you are nailing the plywood to
the concrete, you'll be puncturing the lower moisture barrier alot.

Wayne

Flooring Question Brad Woodworking 6 July 28th 05 10:00 AM
Hardwood flooring question felken Home Repair 3 July 14th 05 03:05 AM
Laminate flooring doorjamb trick Backlash Home Repair 0 May 7th 05 01:27 PM
Question about vinyl flooring... chicagofan Home Repair 16 April 25th 05 05:44 PM
Oak Flooring care question Toller Home Repair 1 January 23rd 04 05:18 PM