Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink Drain - Why holes in sides?

I just installed a sink drain.

The drain has two retangular holes (about 1" by 1") in it just below
the top surface
of the sink and above the underside surface of the sink (above the
undersink gasket)

What are the purpose of these holes? Seems like they just provide a
cavity between
the outersurface of the drain and the inner surface of the hole in the
sink where the
drain fits. Drain water must accumulate in this cavity, I would think?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MasterBlaster

wrote

I just installed a sink drain.

The drain has two retangular holes (about 1" by 1") in it just below
the top surface
of the sink and above the underside surface of the sink (above the
undersink gasket)

What are the purpose of these holes? Seems like they just provide a
cavity between
the outersurface of the drain and the inner surface of the hole in the
sink where the
drain fits. Drain water must accumulate in this cavity, I would think?

There should be an "overflow" slot in the sink up near the top edge.
The water that goes through the overflow has to be able to get into the drain
pipe, even if you have the plug in the basin, so it comes in the sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That would be the over flow. Some sinks have them some do not. Your
drain (actually the part called the tailstock) should have rectangular
holes in it just below the stopper to allow the water that runs into
the overflow to drain out.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair

MasterBlaster wrote:
wrote

I just installed a sink drain.

The drain has two retangular holes (about 1" by 1") in it just below
the top surface
of the sink and above the underside surface of the sink (above the
undersink gasket)

What are the purpose of these holes? Seems like they just provide a
cavity between
the outersurface of the drain and the inner surface of the hole in the
sink where the
drain fits. Drain water must accumulate in this cavity, I would think?

There should be an "overflow" slot in the sink up near the top edge.
The water that goes through the overflow has to be able to get into the drain
pipe, even if you have the plug in the basin, so it comes in the sides.

Thanks, this sink does not have an overflow slot, so they serve no
purpose on
it. I guess any water that gets into these holes (gets caught in the
cavity) will have to just evaporate out. This is a guest bathroom
sink that
is not used often

I could try filling the cavity, but I would have to take the plug
assembly out
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well it sounds like you have a sink with an overflow that has a
tailstock that has no provision for that. So whoever put it in that way
made a mistake. If it's not used very often it's probably not a
problem. It would take water trapped in there a long time to evaporate.
I have kids and this would definately be a problem.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to spudnuty, Mike wrote:
I'm installing a drain and the water runs down the inside of the tailstock out
the vent holes and down the outside of the tailstock onto the inside of the
cabinet below. What am I doing wrong?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...des-58801-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Nov 2016 17:44:01 +0000, Mike
m wrote:

I'm installing a drain and the water runs down the inside of the tailstock out
the vent holes and down the outside of the tailstock onto the inside of the
cabinet below. What am I doing wrong?

You won't see my reply, but.

Did you use plumber's putty around the top of the drain and the nut
tightened enough?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
replying to spudnuty, Mike wrote:
I'm installing a drain and the water runs down the inside of the tailstock out
the vent holes and down the outside of the tailstock onto the inside of the
cabinet below. What am I doing wrong?

What "vent holes"?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...des-58801-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 11:25:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
replying to spudnuty, Mike wrote:
I'm installing a drain and the water runs down the inside of the tailstock out
the vent holes and down the outside of the tailstock onto the inside of the
cabinet below. What am I doing wrong?

What "vent holes"?

Probably the place where you hook up a dishwasher. Sounds like the
wrong tailpiece
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
replying to spudnuty, Mike wrote:
I'm installing a drain and the water runs down the inside of the tailstock out
the vent holes and down the outside of the tailstock onto the inside of the
cabinet below. What am I doing wrong?

What "vent holes"?

Probably the place where you hook up a dishwasher. Sounds like the
wrong tailpiece

But seems that would be a vent hole, not holes.... IDK, but something
ain't right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mike, Lorrie Hedges wrote:
Mike, I'm faced with the same thing. I have a custom sink bowl (no overflow)
and the water is running out through that slot in the drain pipe. From what I
have read on this site, some come with the slot and some don't. You need to
replace the drain pipe with one that does not have that extra slot/hole for
the overflow. I wish I had known this before. Practice, practice,
practice..... Thanks for everyone's posts.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...des-58801-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Lorrie Hedges, Hotrodky wrote:
This might have saved me more trouble. My new faucet has those holes and my
new sink doesn't have a drain hole. I had leaking and everything was tight.
I did have a small defect under the bowl where drain pipe gets tight. That's
where it was leaking. I looked at my other sinks they are bigger underneath
and overflow drains into those pipes. I will look for new drain pipes without
holes on sides. Other people had problems with this same vanity sink combo.
They used putty and silicone.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...des-58801-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Hotrodky, Hotrodky wrote:
Well I ran into another problem. I got a grid drain but it is draining slow.
I'm to the point where I'm going to replace this vanity to.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...des-58801-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 11:44:05 PM UTC-5, Hotrodky wrote:
replying to Lorrie Hedges, Hotrodky wrote:
This might have saved me more trouble. My new faucet has those holes and my
new sink doesn't have a drain hole.

Wow are you folks at HomeMoaners having all kinds of trouble. The OP
had a new drain with holes, now you have a faucet with holes and a
new sink that doesn't have a drain hole. Wow, are you all smoking
the same stuff?

I had leaking and everything was tight.
I did have a small defect under the bowl where drain pipe gets tight. That's
where it was leaking. I looked at my other sinks they are bigger underneath
and overflow drains into those pipes.

Every sink I've had, the overflow was integrated into the sink and there
was only the one drain connection at the bottom. Other types might exist,
but so far it seems HomeMoaners are the only folks finding them, buying
drain pipes with "holes on the sides", etc.

I will look for new drain pipes without
holes on sides.

Probably a good idea.

Other people had problems with this same vanity sink combo.
They used putty and silicone.

--

Pros use plumbers putty, hacks use silicone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-5, Hotrodky wrote:
replying to Hotrodky, Hotrodky wrote:
Well I ran into another problem. I got a grid drain but it is draining slow.
I'm to the point where I'm going to replace this vanity to.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...des-58801-.htm

Every slow draining sink I've seen, the problem was never the sink, it
was a clogged drain, incorrect plumbing, etc. The sink just has a
standard size hole in the bottom, now can it be the cause of slow
draining?
in the bottom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 09:58:24 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

Every sink I've had, the overflow was integrated into the sink and there
was only the one drain connection at the bottom. Other types might exist,
but so far it seems HomeMoaners are the only folks finding them, buying
drain pipes with "holes on the sides", etc.

A vessel sink vs a standard sink use differnt tail pipe drains. A
vessel sink doesn't have an overflow. HomeMoaner may have bought the
wrong part? No, not possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Every sink I've had, the overflow was integrated into the sink and there
was only the one drain connection at the bottom. Other types might exist,
but so far it seems HomeMoaners are the only folks finding them, buying
drain pipes with "holes on the sides", etc.

A vessel sink vs a standard sink use differnt tail pipe drains. A
vessel sink doesn't have an overflow. HomeMoaner may have bought the
wrong part? No, not possible.

IDK, but if you have a sink that has just one drain hole, like most
and you're buying a drain assembly, you would think if the pipe had extra
holes you'd figure out WTF was going on before buying it and
putting it in. But, heh, that's just the way I do things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Every sink I've had, the overflow was integrated into the sink and there
was only the one drain connection at the bottom. Other types might exist,
but so far it seems HomeMoaners are the only folks finding them, buying
drain pipes with "holes on the sides", etc.

A vessel sink vs a standard sink use differnt tail pipe drains. A
vessel sink doesn't have an overflow. HomeMoaner may have bought the
wrong part? No, not possible.

IDK, but if you have a sink that has just one drain hole, like most
and you're buying a drain assembly, you would think if the pipe had extra
holes you'd figure out WTF was going on before buying it and
putting it in. But, heh, that's just the way I do things.

....but But BUT, we are talking about HomeMoaners here.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Every sink I've had, the overflow was integrated into the sink and there
was only the one drain connection at the bottom. Other types might exist,
but so far it seems HomeMoaners are the only folks finding them, buying
drain pipes with "holes on the sides", etc.

A vessel sink vs a standard sink use differnt tail pipe drains. A
vessel sink doesn't have an overflow. HomeMoaner may have bought the
wrong part? No, not possible.

IDK, but if you have a sink that has just one drain hole, like most
and you're buying a drain assembly, you would think if the pipe had extra
holes you'd figure out WTF was going on before buying it and
putting it in. But, heh, that's just the way I do things.

...but But BUT, we are talking about HomeMoaners here.
--

I suspect many of the posts there are just fake spam, designed to try
to build traffic for the website. It's hard to believe people could

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I just installed a sink drain.

The drain has two retangular holes (about 1" by 1") in it just below
the top surface of the sink and above the underside surface of the new modern pedestal sink (above the
undersink gasket)

What are the purpose of these holes? Seems like they just provide a
cavity between
the outersurface of the drain and the inner surface of the hole in the
sink where the
drain fits. Drain water must accumulate in this cavity, I would think?

Those two holes in a sink are called drain holes. And those drain holes are used for water overflow in a sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Stan wrote:
I taped over the hole as couldn't find one without holes

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...des-58801-.htm