Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed

Default Length Finishing Nail

What would be the recommended length of finishing nail to put up crown
molding and baseboards?

Same question for 1/2" quarter round.

Equipment:
Bostitch N62FNK-2 15 ga Nail Gun (angled)
Bostitch SB-2IN1 18 ga Brad/Stapler Gun (Straight)

Regards,
Ed
Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Ed" wrote in message
What would be the recommended length of finishing nail to put up crown
molding and baseboards?

Same question for 1/2" quarter round.

Equipment:
Bostitch N62FNK-2 15 ga Nail Gun (angled)
Bostitch SB-2IN1 18 ga Brad/Stapler Gun (Straight)

Regards,
Ed

Having never installed with an air gun, I use standard 6d 2" nails.
I'm not sure how 6d translates into gauge. I do know when I pulled off the
existing mouldings, the installers also used 2".
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

don't know but the nail may need to reach thru various drywall
thicknesses into the lumber below, so a couple of sizes may be needed
depending on your dimensions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:22:12 -0500, Ed wrote:

What would be the recommended length of finishing nail to put up crown
molding and baseboards?

Same question for 1/2" quarter round.

You want a nail length than guarantees at least least 3/4" penetration
into the framing members, but no more than 1". so 7/8" more than the
thickness of the molding plus the thickness of the sheathing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:22:12 -0500, Ed wrote:

What would be the recommended length of finishing nail to put up crown
molding and baseboards?

Same question for 1/2" quarter round.

You want a nail length than guarantees at least least 3/4" penetration
into the framing members, but no more than 1". so 7/8" more than the
thickness of the molding plus the thickness of the sheathing.

I have been told that to prevent splitting the molding you should dull the
point of the nail by tapping it with a hammer. That is supposed to result
in pushing the wood fiber through instead of spreading it.

Face Nail Engineered Hardwood question ksanny Woodworking 6 November 1st 04 05:36 AM
Nail gun advice. Greg G Home Repair 11 October 28th 04 02:21 AM
Best Book on Finishing? Never Enough Money Woodworking 25 October 20th 04 12:59 AM
Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun? dteckie Woodworking 4 September 10th 04 12:03 PM
ML Campbell Finishing Products tailslid1 Woodworking 3 August 10th 03 04:30 AM