Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loud bang to pipes when clothes washer stops filling

Hi:

I have a Maytag Neptune clothes washer, MAH4000AWW that slams / hammers
the water supply lines when it completes the fill portion of a cycle.
I am wondering if the water valve (p/n: 22002795) is going bad ? Other
then the noise the machine fills OK. Thanks

Peter

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Thats cool - I was going to describe how you would need to open up the wall,
find the supply lines and install a water hammer arrestor. This one just
screws on. Pretty cool, great idea.
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Hi:

I have a Maytag Neptune clothes washer, MAH4000AWW that slams / hammers
the water supply lines when it completes the fill portion of a cycle.
I am wondering if the water valve (p/n: 22002795) is going bad ? Other
then the noise the machine fills OK. Thanks

Peter

You didn't say whether this is a new condition (previously quiet) or not.

But, when I had the same problem I solved it with a couple of "Mini
Arrestor" devices made specifically for washing machine use, like the ones
part way down this page:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

When the washer was new I don't remember it being as bad as it is now.
I installed the hammer arrestors to the hot and cold lines behind the
washer. They did nothing to solve the problem.

Peter