Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Default Coverting fence section into gate...

I want to make one of the fence sections around my yard into a gate.
They are regular spaced vertical planks of cedar on three horizontal
planks, and about 8 feet wide and 6 high.

I was considering cutting in half down the middle, putting a couple of
diagonals (one in each side). And then hinging the edges. The posts are
solid and concreted in fine.

Does this sound like a decent plan? I'm concerned about the thing
sagging. I don't want any latch in the middle, so I'll put in a
castle-style plank that can be lifted or rotated out of the way.

Thanks for any tips if anyone has done such a thing.

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

dean wrote:
I want to make one of the fence sections around my yard into a gate.
They are regular spaced vertical planks of cedar on three horizontal
planks, and about 8 feet wide and 6 high.

I was considering cutting in half down the middle, putting a couple of
diagonals (one in each side). And then hinging the edges. The posts
are solid and concreted in fine.

Does this sound like a decent plan? I'm concerned about the thing
sagging. I don't want any latch in the middle, so I'll put in a
castle-style plank that can be lifted or rotated out of the way.

Thanks for any tips if anyone has done such a thing.

Dean

A four foot wide six foot tall cedar fence is going to be a might heavy
gate. The gate itself will need some good cross bracing and the post at
each end are not likely ready for what you have planed. A diagonal in the
next eight foot section would help out on the closed position, but when open
they will be stressing those post and their foundation far more than any
normal fence post could support. I would suggest that you will likely need
to increase the size of the post and sink them four foot into the ground
rather than the two foot they likely have now.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff

My neighbors fence has gates on that scale, mounted to 4 X 4 posts, and
they seem to work OK although they are seldom opened. Your plan sounds
OK to me. Don't skimp on the hinges; use real sturdy ones and mount
with lag bolts. The hinges will take up some space - instead of just
one cut to halve the fence section, you may have to make two cuts to
remove an inch or so of it (i.e. make each half about a half inch less
wide). Zero sag may be hard to achieve even with diagonal bracing; you
may want to initially mount them pointed up slightly to compensate. --

Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Yes, ok that's a good idea. I wonder if I should put in a top piece
extended up a foot or so and then arching over (flat) to hold the two
posts apart more strongly. I'd have to see what that looks like, maybe
I'll try without for starters.

Thanks,

Dean