Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Default When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze?

Jim,

According to the articles that you cite the anti-freeze will volatize in
a few days and the wood may then be painted. A lot of these articles seem
to be variations of one article. I see no reason to believe or disbelieve
thesearticles.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Rot is an organism, its alive , possibly a plant, bleach kills by
removing the oxygen and works. Antifreeze may work, its a poison, but
bleach I know works, is cheaper, easier and safer to use and be ready
to paint. Bleach residue is easily washed as it is salt, antifreeze has
an oily residue, you don`t want to paint over any residue that will
affect a paints bonding . Im sure alot of poisons will kill rot, even
rot gut booze. Mold is usualy present with rot and may be the organisms
responsible for rot. Bleach is still a safe bet for repainting. I just
used 20 gallons on a repaint to kill rot and mold and clean concrete all
with a garden sprayer. With antifreeze you may need soap to remove the
oily residue, put it on your hands to find out, with bleach after its
dry you just rinse with water. If you have rot you still must remove
it, paint won`t last even if the rot is inactive, the wood is to soft
and will absorb moisture, ruining the paint. I would cut out the rot
then use bleach to kill whats left. Look for black spots on the house,
even pinhead size, if you have them its mold and should all be sprayed
with bleach. Mold is a plant you don`t want to paint over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Rot is an organism, its alive , possibly a plant,

Actually it is a mold; and molds are more closely related to animals than
plants.
Of course that little bit of trivia is irrelevant.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Rot is an organism, its alive , possibly a plant, bleach

kills by
removing the oxygen and works. Antifreeze may work, its a

poison, but
bleach I know works, is cheaper, easier and safer to use

and be ready
to paint.

I'd bet that the anti-freeze actively kills rot a lot longer
from one application than bleach.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 04:25:33 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Rot is an organism, its alive , possibly a plant,

Actually it is a mold; and molds are more closely related to animals than
plants.
Of course that little bit of trivia is irrelevant.

So what you are saying is that mold can be a PET? Can you put a leash
on it and take it for a walk? Can it be potty trained to use a litter
box? Looks like the OP has a new pet !!!