Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze?

"jim evans" wrote in message
The siding on my house is paneling. Recently I noticed the first
signs of deterioration (rot) on the bottom edge. I intend to
saturated the bottom edge with antifreeze to kill/stop the rot, then
prime and paint it. Can I prime over the antifreeze the next day? If
not, how long do I have to wait? If I can't prime over the antifreeze
at all, what to I do to prep it for the primer?

I have to ask... what interesting material are you going to paint it with?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson

"jim evans" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:11:09 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"jim evans" wrote in message
.. .
The siding on my house is paneling. Recently I noticed the first
signs of deterioration (rot) on the bottom edge. I intend to
saturated the bottom edge with antifreeze to kill/stop the rot, then
prime and paint it. Can I prime over the antifreeze the next day? If
not, how long do I have to wait? If I can't prime over the antifreeze
at all, what to I do to prep it for the primer?

I have to ask... what interesting material are you going to paint it

with?

Paint.

I hope you know which types of paint will cure
correctly when contaminated with ethylene glycol.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:20:22 -0600, jim evans
wrote:

I hope you know which types of paint will cure
correctly when contaminated with ethylene glycol.

Ethylene glycol is added to paint as a mildewcide.

I suspect that is at about 1/100th of the concentration that it will
find in your wood. That could change everything.

If I were you, I'd play it safe. Find some scrap wood, porous like
the rotting wood you want to fix. Saturate that with antifreeze, wait
some time and then try painting it. See how the drying goes.

Try several pieces, allowing each to dry a different amount of time
before painting and drying. That should give you a pretty good idea.

jim

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.