Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default what does "air gap" mean?

I saw this soap/lotion dispenser on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soap-Lotion-Air-...QQcmdZViewItem

What does it mean by "air-gap"?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

An air gap is a device that can go into a spare sink hole. It gets
inserted between a dishwasher and the sink drain. It's purpose is to
provide an overflow and air break so that if the sink drain backs up,
water can;t syphon back into the dishwasher. Most homes don't use
them, instead they just loop the dishwasher drain hose up high under
the counter. Some places may require an air gap per code.

That soap dispenser is a soap dispenser plus air gap so that you can
get both into a single sink hole. If you don't need the air gap, it
will still function as a soap dispenser.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I saw this soap/lotion dispenser on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soap-Lotion-Air-...2170p20_W0QQit
emZ6014483044QQcategoryZ85913QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewI tem

What does it mean by "air-gap"?

MC

An air gab is a space between a drain line and the drain . It is to stop

the possibility of contaminated waste from being pulled back up into the
potable water system. If a city water main breaks it can cause a vacuum on
your water system. That's also why they put those irritating vacuum breakers
on hose bibs. Most commercial kitchen all the sinks drain into floor sinks
The drain pipe from the sink is cut a minimum of 1" ( 1"air-gap) above floor
sink. Well probably more information than you needed. Now if you are
thinking of leaving the air gab out of you dishwasher drain. Some areas you
can do a loop with the waste hose some areas the air gap its code. I think
the air gap is a good safety factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

I'd use Ask the Seller a Question if I were you; syntax can get
pretty badly mangled by auction sellers. He might or might not
mean what it really means.

Pop

"miamicuse" wrote in message
:I saw this soap/lotion dispenser on Ebay:
:
: