Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default what does "air gap" mean?

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I saw this soap/lotion dispenser on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soap-Lotion-Air-...2170p20_W0QQit
emZ6014483044QQcategoryZ85913QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewI tem

What does it mean by "air-gap"?

MC

An air gab is a space between a drain line and the drain . It is to stop

the possibility of contaminated waste from being pulled back up into the
potable water system. If a city water main breaks it can cause a vacuum on
your water system. That's also why they put those irritating vacuum breakers
on hose bibs. Most commercial kitchen all the sinks drain into floor sinks
The drain pipe from the sink is cut a minimum of 1" ( 1"air-gap) above floor
sink. Well probably more information than you needed. Now if you are
thinking of leaving the air gab out of you dishwasher drain. Some areas you
can do a loop with the waste hose some areas the air gap its code. I think
the air gap is a good safety factor.