Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

Default Skylights?

Will be buying a house soon, house will be needing a new roof and the
seller and we appear to have found a monetary agreement towards the
roof.....

Anyways, for now we might have the roof repaired (it has a leak or
two), and later have it all stripped off (both courses of shingles) and
have a standing-seam metal roof put on. The entire upstairs is a
vaulted-cathedral ceiling and a set of skylights would be very very
nice in that room...

Should skylights go in before, during, or after a new roof is put on?

Are skylights typically put in by roofers, or is this a general
contractor type of job?

Are skylights just an invitation for more trouble down the road
(thermal efficiency, another spot to leak, etc)?

Any thoughts on the remote-controlled, vented/shaded skylights? Look
cool, but how well do they seal when closed?

Is it too regional/situational (I'm outside of Madison WI) to ask an
approximate cost of what skylights are to put in? They (and the roof)
would be put on by professional hire- I won't be doing them myself....

thanks for any and all!

skylights mike hide Woodworking 3 September 11th 05 01:22 AM
SKYLIGHTS: Choice of flat glass or plastic dome jay Home Repair 5 August 28th 05 11:45 PM
Shades For Skylights ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 May 31st 05 10:05 PM
Skylights, do I need to buy the manufacturer's flashing? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 30th 05 03:29 AM
Condensation on skylights Mike Hartigan Home Repair 17 January 17th 05 01:39 PM