Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default Skylights?

phaeton wrote:
Thanks for suggestions thusfar....

Another question I forgot to ask- Are skylights not enjoyed by
everyone? I.e. this isn't something that universally improves the
value of the home, right? This is a "starter home" and we expect to
live here about 5 years or so and move on to bigger and better things.

Would it be better to invest the money elsewhere, such as a kitchen or
bathroom renovation, central air, or something that is universally
desireable?

I don't think skylights per se are universally desireable, I think it
depends on where they are and why. If they were installed to brighten
an otherwise dark area then they *might* be perceived by others as
desireable ("might" because one could not compare with the same area
without skylights).

OTOH, if the area in which you are thinking of installing them is
already bright and cheerful through a bounty of windows and you just
want to install them as an architectural detail then I personally would
put my money elsewhere.

To answer your question directly, I doubt that a future buyer would pay
much attention to the presence or lack of skylights unless your upstairs
area was a real dog without them.

I happen to have seven of them in a house I built a few years ago and
love each and every one; all were installed because the areas would have
been too dark for my taste without them. Two are in halls, for example.
All are Velux, curb style, welded aluminum, non-opening, tempered glass.
Cost installed was about $500 each 10 years ago in central Florida.

http://www.veluxusa.com/

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...