Posted to alt.home.repair
jk42k

Default Maytag Gas Dryer - Replace Drumbelt

I believe the drumbelt is broken and have ordered a replacement. I'm unsure
how to open the dryer to replace the belt and haven't been able to find
specifics about my older dryer. Any guidance appreciated...

Maytag Gas Dryer
Model DG8200

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

jk42k wrote:
I believe the drumbelt is broken and have ordered a replacement. I'm
unsure how to open the dryer to replace the belt and haven't been
able to find specifics about my older dryer. Any guidance
appreciated...
Maytag Gas Dryer
Model DG8200

TIA

I believe you will find two Philips head screws under the lip at the
bottom of the front of the dryer. Remove those two screws and swing the
front panel out. It clips on the top so you can take it all the way off.
As I recall the belt is easy to get to from there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
jk42k

Thank you for responding Joseph and my apologies for the double post.

I'll take a look and post results after trying an installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

If the screws are not at the bottom of the front panel then you will need to
lift the front of the top (it will pop off the spring clips and tilt back)
and then you can access two screws just inside the upper front corners that
hold the front panel by the top. it then pivots down and off.

While you have the front panel off, take the time to clean lint out of the
area after the filter but before the vent opening.

"jk42k" wrote in message
Thank you for responding Joseph and my apologies for the double post.

I'll take a look and post results after trying an installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC

Here's the replacement item...
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=3224

and just in case...a generic manual on repairing dryers...
http://www.appliance-repair.org/Samp...04_part_01.pdf

Good luck...

Darwin

Posted to alt.home.repair
jk42k

"PipeDown" wrote in message
ink.net...
If the screws are not at the bottom of the front panel then you will need
to lift the front of the top (it will pop off the spring clips and tilt
back) and then you can access two screws just inside the upper front
corners that hold the front panel by the top. it then pivots down and
off.

While you have the front panel off, take the time to clean lint out of the
area after the filter but before the vent opening.

Thanks for the tip...I will.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jk42k

Thanks for researching...I have already ordered the belt from Maytag at a
similar price.

This will be an adventure and I appreciate the link to the pdf. Hopefully I
won't have too
much difficulty opening it up.

"DAC" wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's the replacement item...
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=3224

and just in case...a generic manual on repairing dryers...
http://www.appliance-repair.org/Samp...04_part_01.pdf

Good luck...

Darwin

Posted to alt.home.repair
jk42k

Mission accomplished! Thanks for the help, tips and encouragement.

As suggested, two screws at the base of the front released the front
easily...

2 screws on each side released the outflow/lint assembly giving access
to the drum which was easily lifted out...it was a broken belt.

After cleaning the outflow assembly (LOTSA buildup over the years),
and cleaning the interior, I replaced the drum, placed the new belt
around it and buttoned it back up.

Removing a rear access panel exposed the drive motor and idler pulley
and (after a little head scratching) I looped the belt slack around the
shaft
and tension pulley and I was done.

Total cost...$27.69 and about 2 hours of work. I could probably
do the job now in less than 30 minutes.

Interestingly enough, I had first called Sears for the repair. I had a
Sears
repairman show up ($65 flag drop) and he advised me they no longer
stocked the part and I would have to contact Maytag. Fortunately, I
didn't get charged the $65, learned how to do something and saved
myself a nice piece of change.