Posted to alt.home.repair
jk42k

Default Maytag Gas Dryer - Replace Drumbelt

Mission accomplished! Thanks for the help, tips and encouragement.

As suggested, two screws at the base of the front released the front
easily...

2 screws on each side released the outflow/lint assembly giving access
to the drum which was easily lifted out...it was a broken belt.

After cleaning the outflow assembly (LOTSA buildup over the years),
and cleaning the interior, I replaced the drum, placed the new belt
around it and buttoned it back up.

Removing a rear access panel exposed the drive motor and idler pulley
and (after a little head scratching) I looped the belt slack around the
shaft
and tension pulley and I was done.

Total cost...$27.69 and about 2 hours of work. I could probably
do the job now in less than 30 minutes.

Interestingly enough, I had first called Sears for the repair. I had a
Sears
repairman show up ($65 flag drop) and he advised me they no longer
stocked the part and I would have to contact Maytag. Fortunately, I
didn't get charged the $65, learned how to do something and saved
myself a nice piece of change.