phaeton

Default "Stackable" washers and dryers vs. conventional set

Still in the throes of buying a house. Will need all new appliances,
as it will come with none. Something I recall when touring this house
is that the washer/dryer pair do not fit into thier space (this seems
massively common in most houses we looked at when househunting. Have
appliances gotten bigger over the years?). It is arranged where the
washer sits in front of the dryer because there's about 3" of overlap.
In addition, the washer/dryer are currently in a weird place and we
might just relocate them anyways.

It is a small house and I haven't had a chance to attack it with a tape
measure yet. There is a small area off the kitchen where we might put
the washer/dryer, but it's possible that a conventional set may not fit
there either. So then comes up the "stackable" or "over/under combo"
unit question. Appliance stores seem to be rather devoid of these- I
only remember seeing one example that was dog**** brown (and beat up
looking) and could possibly handle half the load(s) of a standard set.
There was no price tag on it.

1) do they make 'stackable' units that can handle a full load of
laundry?

2) "what are you gonna do when one side breaks?" is what i hear a lot.
Any real-world experience on reliability/repair, etc? Something tells
me that having the guy from Sears out to fix your dryer will be about
the same experience for me whether it's stackable or not.

3) how are these efficiency-wise? Gas dryers available as stackables?

4) Is the end cost of acquisition less, same, or more than buying a
conventional set?

5) Any recommendations of brands and stores to acquire appliances are
appreciated.

TIA!

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Our previous house had the same issues, small tight space for laundry
(or basement, which wasn't a pleasant place to do laundry). We bought
a Kenmore washer & dryer (separately). The washer will either have to
be a front loader or you'll have to get one of the sets that is made
for stacking. I would steer clear of the Kenmore at least at the lower
end models, the one we had lasted 3 years before the drum support
broke. Sears "service" was absolutely no help - "sorry, this isn't
under warranty any more, but we can schedule a service call for you..."
I ended up fixing it myself, though I had to buy an entirely new
washer drum (all this while trying to sell the house - "please ignore
the washing machine parts strewn across the bathroom"). Anyway, the
dryer was gas, and up to the point where the washer broke down we were
VERY happy with the machine and had used it for many loads of normal
laundry plus my wife's nursing uniforms, plus our daughter's cloth
diapers. The front loaders are quite efficient, but have a mixed
reliability record pretty much across the board when it comes to the
manufacturers. Dryers are pretty simple machines and usually have
fewer problems. We had no issues with the gas dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

I guess I had better ask the question now:

Does "stackable" refer to separate units that are truly "stackable"? I
always thought people were referring to the 'combo' units where there
was a washer and dryer all in the same (inseperable) housing as
"stackable".

*duh*

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"phaeton" wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess I had better ask the question now:

Does "stackable" refer to separate units that are truly "stackable"? I
always thought people were referring to the 'combo' units where there
was a washer and dryer all in the same (inseperable) housing as
"stackable".

*duh*

I one saw a washer dryer combo in a class A motor. At the time it was way to
expensive for me.

Lots of manufactures make 'stackable either separately or in a single unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

Had you been using the special "High Efficiency" (low-sudsing) detergent
made for front-loaders?

Our Sears guy told us (when he came to replace the control module --
$200+ +labor unit free under our maintenance contract) that the major
cause of bearing and other mechanical failures in front-loaders is using
regular (mucho suds) detergent.

Perce

On 11/16/05 12:03 pm louie tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

1) do they make 'stackable' units that can handle a full load of
laundry?

Just buy front loaders, and build a platform for the upper one.
Better make that the dryer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Zeppo

We bought a stackable Maytag front loader pair and have been very happy with
them. The appliance store we dealt with said we could user regular detergent
as long as we used ~1/3 what we used in a top loader. We've been doing this
for the 4 months since we bought the units with no problem.

There is a lot of advantages using these units (They use much less water,
clean better and are much easier on clothes) but are much pricier. However
if you stack them the unit on top is pretty high up. My wife nixed stacking
them because she couldn't reach the controls on the upper unit. She is 5'
tall.

Jon

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

Just buy front loaders, and build a platform for the upper one.
Better make that the dryer.

I had mentioned this very exact thing initially, but my roommate said
I'm nucking futz....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

"phaeton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just buy front loaders, and build a platform for the upper one.
Better make that the dryer.

I had mentioned this very exact thing initially, but my roommate said
I'm nucking futz....

Many front loaders can be stacked. The necessary brackets are extra.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Rich256 wrote:

"phaeton" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just buy front loaders, and build a platform for the upper one.
Better make that the dryer.

I had mentioned this very exact thing initially, but my roommate said
I'm nucking futz....

Many front loaders can be stacked. The necessary brackets are extra.

Hi,
Even non-front loader can be stacked.
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/16/05 10:23 pm Rich256 tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Many front loaders can be stacked. The necessary brackets are extra.

We have Kenmore twins (made by Frigidaire). The stacking brackets came
with either the washer or the dryer (probably the latter). What was
extra was the shipping kit for the washer when we moved house: the
delivery guys took the parts away with them, and Sears said that's
standard practice.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Nickolas

"phaeton" wrote:

1) do they make 'stackable' units that can handle a full load of
laundry?

The combo units are called "laundry centers", so if you are searching
the web try using that term. We have a Whirlpool. Cost about $850. No
problem doing a full load.

Any real-world experience on reliability/repair, etc?

We had a warranty repair once. The wire from the lid switch had a
loose connection. What was nice is this unit is accessible from the
front and top for repairs. So we didn't have un-install it and pull it
out to get to the back.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Rich256 wrote:

"phaeton" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just buy front loaders, and build a platform for the upper one.
Better make that the dryer.

I had mentioned this very exact thing initially, but my roommate said
I'm nucking futz....

Many front loaders can be stacked. The necessary brackets are extra.

Hi,
Even non-front loader can be stacked.
Tony

But aren't they built that way whereas it is an option for front loaders?

Posted to alt.home.repair
TheOldGuy

"phaeton" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My wife told me she wanted a stackable washer and dryer. We already had a
good top loading washer and dryer, so I made her a stackable unit by setting
the washer on top of the dryer. The setup worked fine except that she kept
whining about how heavy the washer was when she had to lift it to load and
unload the dryer. She forced me to buy her a factory stackable system when
the washer became unbalanced during the spin cycle one day and shook so hard
it slid off the dryer and fell on our dog. I can't recommend a stackable.