Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jungle Jim

Default LG washers and dryers

My wife and I are to retire later this year and we are updating
various things around the house while money is available. We are
planning to purchase a new washer dryer and hopefully, it will be the
last ones.

In researching, it appears that a front-loader washer will work with
regard to if it will last. We know some of the domestic models
Maytag, etc do not fit this criteria. We are looking at the Bosch
(yes made in North Carolina, but a european design) pair that comes
in at about $1800 at Lowe's.

Among otheers, we are considering the LG line (found at Best Buy), but
have no experience or knowlege of the line. The only thing I know
about LG is their Cell phones. I have had nothing but top quality
service from them.

Any help ?
Paul B.

Jungle Jim wrote:
My wife and I are to retire later this year and we are updating
various things around the house while money is available. We are
planning to purchase a new washer dryer and hopefully, it will be the
last ones.

In researching, it appears that a front-loader washer will work with
regard to if it will last. We know some of the domestic models
Maytag, etc do not fit this criteria. We are looking at the Bosch
(yes made in North Carolina, but a european design) pair that comes
in at about $1800 at Lowe's.

Among otheers, we are considering the LG line (found at Best Buy), but
have no experience or knowlege of the line. The only thing I know
about LG is their Cell phones. I have had nothing but top quality
service from them.

Any help ?

LG used to be known as Lucky Goldstar, and as I recall it was a
bottom-line small appliance maker. But I've been watching them
the past couple of years, and starting with their cell phones it
seems they're making a play for the top end (I have the 6000 and
it's a great phone). A trip to Best Buy today confirmed that;
their refrigerators look pretty awesome, with the titanium finish
unequaled, and one model has built-in TV for north of $3K.

Two weeks ago I bought an LG refurb washer at a great price from
BB. Too soon to pass judgment, but aside from a possible small
balance problem, the machine looks to be great.

Also, I was in touch with support via the Web, and they were very
helpful.

Paul

--
Given address is checked only infrequently. Please reply to group.
Travis Jordan

Jungle Jim wrote:
My wife and I are to retire later this year and we are updating
various things around the house while money is available. We are
planning to purchase a new washer dryer and hopefully, it will be the
last ones.

I will note that if not spent now, the money will still be available
later.

In researching, it appears that a front-loader washer will work with
regard to if it will last. We know some of the domestic models
Maytag, etc do not fit this criteria. We are looking at the Bosch
(yes made in North Carolina, but a european design) pair that comes
in at about $1800 at Lowe's.

If you are looking for reliability, buy a Roper set for about $600.
They are simpler mechanically, and cheaper to boot. Invest the
remaining $1200.

KLS

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:39:34 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Jungle Jim wrote:

In researching, it appears that a front-loader washer will work with
regard to if it will last. We know some of the domestic models
Maytag, etc do not fit this criteria. We are looking at the Bosch
(yes made in North Carolina, but a european design) pair that comes
in at about $1800 at Lowe's.

If you are looking for reliability, buy a Roper set for about $600.
They are simpler mechanically, and cheaper to boot. Invest the
remaining $1200.

Roper makes front-loading washers?
Travis Jordan

KLS wrote:
Roper makes front-loading washers?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that. I was simply suggesting that the OP
consider the most reliable brand, instead of a front-loader - which is
going to be less reliable because of the complexity of these so-called
'upscale' models.

KLS

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:41:02 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

KLS wrote:
Roper makes front-loading washers?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that. I was simply suggesting that the OP
consider the most reliable brand, instead of a front-loader - which is
going to be less reliable because of the complexity of these so-called
'upscale' models.

You are totally right, however, the OP might be concerned with water
and electricity usage (I was when I was shopping for a washer), which
are considerably lower with front loaders than with top loaders. Plus
front loaders take huge loads and cumbersome items better than top
loaders. When I bought my Frigidaire Gallery set (I'm sorry, but I
just couldn't see why I should fork over the major bux for the
Kenmore, Whirlpool, Bosch, and Maytag versions, which were double what
I paid for mine), I also bought a 5-year extended warranty, one of the
ONLY items I'd consider buying such a warranty for. I've been very
pleased with my set, even though we've had it just under 2 years.
Travis Jordan

KLS wrote:
You are totally right, however, the OP might be concerned with water
and electricity usage (I was when I was shopping for a washer), which
are considerably lower with front loaders than with top loaders. Plus
front loaders take huge loads and cumbersome items better than top
loaders.

Unfortunately, if you run the numbers for water and electricity cost
you'll see that you will never pay back the higher cost of the front
loaders.

KLS

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:46:08 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

KLS wrote:
You are totally right, however, the OP might be concerned with water
and electricity usage (I was when I was shopping for a washer), which
are considerably lower with front loaders than with top loaders. Plus
front loaders take huge loads and cumbersome items better than top
loaders.

Unfortunately, if you run the numbers for water and electricity cost
you'll see that you will never pay back the higher cost of the front
loaders.

Oh, yes I will because I paid about $650 total for my front-load
washer/dryer set, which is about what anybody could easily pay for a
top-load washer/dryer set. Your point could apply to the really
expensive models that I already explained I didn't buy.