Default Pressure Treated Wood & Aluminum

Hi,

My builder has wrapped my pressure treated porch posts with aluminum
cladding. This was just over a year ago. Now the aluminum cladding is
being eaten away at by something in the pressure treated posts.

My question is: I like the aluminum cladding look on the porch posts and
would like to know is there anything that can be put in between the pressure
treated posts and the aluminum cladding to stop the corrosion?

Thanks!

Rick

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

My builder has wrapped my pressure treated porch posts with aluminum
cladding. This was just over a year ago. Now the aluminum cladding

is
being eaten away at by something in the pressure treated posts.

My question is: I like the aluminum cladding look on the porch

posts and
would like to know is there anything that can be put in between the

pressure
treated posts and the aluminum cladding to stop the corrosion?

Thanks!

Alumapole Pro Tim bendable vinyl...

m Ransley

Find out what fasteners were used the new treated eats alot of
different metals, CCA did not have this issue, now you must have
stainless or hope a double galvanised wont dissolve. Remove the
aluminum, plus it holds moisture.

DanG

I would think you could wrap the posts with either visqueen or tar
paper. Should provide all the isolation you need.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

My builder has wrapped my pressure treated porch posts with
aluminum cladding. This was just over a year ago. Now the
aluminum cladding is being eaten away at by something in the
pressure treated posts.

My question is: I like the aluminum cladding look on the porch
posts and would like to know is there anything that can be put
in between the pressure treated posts and the aluminum cladding
to stop the corrosion?

Thanks!

Norminn

m Ransley wrote:

Find out what fasteners were used the new treated eats alot of
different metals, CCA did not have this issue, now you must have
stainless or hope a double galvanised wont dissolve. Remove the
aluminum, plus it holds moisture.

Ramsley, do you have a good recipe for pound cake? You seem to know
just about everything else )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"- Colonel -" wrote in message
They now use copper compounds in pressure-treated wood (they used to use
something else...arsenic or something like that?).

Anyway, the copper in the pressure-treated wood eats away at the aluminum
in a galvanic-corrosion reaction. I believe you also now have to use some
kind of corrosion-resistsant fasteners with modern P-T wood because plain
old nails (and I think even galvanized) will corrode away to nothing in no
time.

Correct. Stainless steel is the preferred fastener. www.mcfeelys.com has a
lot of information about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Just wait for all the lawsuits in 10 years when people die from decks
failing because hacks used improper fastners that failed.