Default Pool closed for the winter, but filling up with water - Problem?

I have a 16,000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool with a mesh cover. When it
was closed, the pool company had me drain the pool down to near the
bottom of the skimmer opening (about 12-18 inches below the edge of the
pool). Over the past couple months, we have had a whole lot of rain,
and the pool is filling up - to the point where the water level is
above where it would normally be when we use it. The mesh cover was
actually touching the water in the middle. This past weekend, I
siphoned about 1.5 inches of water out of it with a garden hose to help
a bit, but it's supposed to rain all week again. I live in Michigan if
that's relavant.

Is it a problem if it fills up over the cover (and possibly to the edge
of the pool itself)? Water would be over the mesh cover at that point.
Or should I siphon more water out of it to get the water level down to
where it should be? My only concern with siphoning is I am also
siphoning out a percentage of the chemicals I put in the pool to
winterize it. I could always add some shock too, I suppose, if that
would help.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Schmitt

Pool + Michigan = ?

Not a big pool guy, but if the purpose of lowering the level was to
drain the pipes so they won't freeze and crack, you'll have to lower
the level and re-drain the pipes.

For the chemicals, whatever dilution there will be has already
occurred, so draining won't change the chemical levels/balance.

Don't know if you need to add more, though.

Dave

Can't you call the company that performed the winterizing and ask them?

Posted to alt.home.repair
House

From what I know - you should keep water level in the pool in winter at the
same level as you would in the summer. Your pool is designed to withold
certain amount of water.
In cases like that I usually just pump excess water.

"SMF" wrote in message
I blow out all the lines, cap, and put skimmer gizmos in the skimmers.
Water freezes in the skimmer but have never had a problem.

SF

On 15 Nov 2005 13:20:11 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:57:03 -0500, "House" wrote:

From what I know - you should keep water level in the pool in winter at the
same level as you would in the summer. Your pool is designed to withold
certain amount of water.
In cases like that I usually just pump excess water.

My inground vinyl over Concrete pool is now close to 30 years old
and I use a mesh cover also... So I have plenty of expereince with
winterizing the pool...

Just try to keep the water level BELOW the skimmer face plates during
the winter...if it raises above that simply pump out a few inches...

Bob G