John Sheehy

Default Hardibacker/Drywall Taping

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and have to tape the joints of the
drywall and hardibacker. My question is what to use when the hardibacker
meets the drywall, tape and spackle or mesh and thinset? Also, do you use
the metal 90's to brace the corner edges like you would w/drywall, or do you
just tape and set them at about a 90 degree angle. Thanks in advance.

Colbyt

"John Sheehy" wrote in message
I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and have to tape the joints of

the
drywall and hardibacker. My question is what to use when the hardibacker
meets the drywall, tape and spackle or mesh and thinset? Also, do you use
the metal 90's to brace the corner edges like you would w/drywall, or do

you
just tape and set them at about a 90 degree angle. Thanks in advance.

I'm no pro at this. I used durobond 90 to bed the tape and regular mud to
topcoat and finish. My joint was well past the wet area of the shower and I
wanted a smooth wall finish. Around the top of the shower area I have always
done it the same way. I used the durobond and mesh in the wet areas.

I have never finished an outside corner that was formed with hardie-backer.
My opinion is that you would have a smoother wall for you tile application
if you just cut the edges as straight as possible and filled any gaps with
durobond or thinset if it is recommended for that purpose. I did not think
it was. My reasoning on that is based on the fact that you never carry the
drywall bead to floor if you want your baseboard to fit properly.

Colbyt

evodawg

John Sheehy wrote:

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and have to tape the joints of
the
drywall and hardibacker. My question is what to use when the hardibacker
meets the drywall, tape and spackle or mesh and thinset? Also, do you use
the metal 90's to brace the corner edges like you would w/drywall, or do
you
just tape and set them at about a 90 degree angle. Thanks in advance.

Mesh and tile thinset hardie to hardie. Mesh or tape, drywall mud hardie to
wallboard.

Rich

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Taping a painted wall? RicodJour Home Repair 5 July 8th 05 02:47 PM
Taping and Toilet rw Home Repair 1 July 5th 05 01:44 AM
How to redo drywall taping on garage ceiling?? Ron Home Repair 8 November 26th 03 01:29 PM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Tom J Home Ownership 1 July 29th 03 03:58 PM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Eric Ryder Home Ownership 2 July 29th 03 12:30 AM