Dave

Default Concrete Saw Blades?

Rented a gas powered concrete saw today and didn't make a whole lot of
progress. In several hours I made a notch about 1.5" deep and eight
feet long. Used a standard 14 inch masonry blade. The guy said a
diamond blade could be rented for an extra $35. Can anyone tell me
whether a diamond blade would cut appreciably faster? Or does a diamond
blade just have a much longer lifespan?

SQLit

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rented a gas powered concrete saw today and didn't make a whole lot of
progress. In several hours I made a notch about 1.5" deep and eight
feet long. Used a standard 14 inch masonry blade. The guy said a
diamond blade could be rented for an extra $35. Can anyone tell me
whether a diamond blade would cut appreciably faster? Or does a diamond
blade just have a much longer lifespan?

Gas powered and not a diamond blade? Does not sound right to me.
Does it have a metal blade? If it does are you using water?

My skill saw and a bunch of fiber blades would have done that much.

Diamond blades can help. Some diamond blades are dry, some are wet. I prefer
the wet. Keeps the blade cooler and helps remove some of the material.

Some concrete is harder than others.

Dave

SQLit wrote:
"Dave" wrote:

Rented a gas powered concrete saw today and didn't make a whole lot of
progress. In several hours I made a notch about 1.5" deep and eight
feet long. Used a standard 14 inch masonry blade. The guy said a
diamond blade could be rented for an extra $35. Can anyone tell me
whether a diamond blade would cut appreciably faster? Or does a diamond
blade just have a much longer lifespan?

Gas powered and not a diamond blade? Does not sound right to me.
Does it have a metal blade? If it does are you using water?

My skill saw and a bunch of fiber blades would have done that much.

Diamond blades can help. Some diamond blades are dry, some are wet. I prefer
the wet. Keeps the blade cooler and helps remove some of the material.

Some concrete is harder than others.

Just had a standard $6 14 inch abrasive masonry blade. I used water
from a garden hose to keep the dust under control.

Harry K

Dave wrote:
Rented a gas powered concrete saw today and didn't make a whole lot of
progress. In several hours I made a notch about 1.5" deep and eight
feet long. Used a standard 14 inch masonry blade. The guy said a
diamond blade could be rented for an extra $35. Can anyone tell me
whether a diamond blade would cut appreciably faster? Or does a diamond
blade just have a much longer lifespan?

I rented one a few years ago. About a 14" diamond blade. Made a cut 8"
long horizontal by 24" vertical cut through a very solid 6" thick
concrete knee wall (had to cut from both sides). Took about an hour
and most of that was spent resting as that is one moose of a tool to
use down at ground level horizontally. They didn't rent the blade,
they charged by the amount worn off it. Micrometered it on check out
and back in on return. I somehow must have chipped one tooth as that
one caused me to pay for that amount off of all of them. Price was not
bad at all. I used a garden hose with a small stream of water running
on the blade.

Harry K

SQLit

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
SQLit wrote:
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

With a fiber blade your doing ok. I have never seen a gas powered saw
rented with a fiber blade.

Using a diamond blade in concrete is almost like the perverbial hot
knife through butter. Get a diamond blade. I'll never go back to the
other type!