Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
tacker

Default Misaligned Threshold Locking Pin in French Doors

Does anybody have a good solution the following problem:

I have a set of outward-opening French doors, which, of course, consist
of an operating door and a door that usually remains closed and is
locked by vertical pins which extend into the top of the door sill and
into the bottom of the threshold. The threshold of these doors is
aluminum.

The problem is that whoever installed the doors drilled the hole for
locking the fixed door slightly in the wrong spot into the bottom
threshold, so that the door, when closed and locked, is not pulled
tightly enough against the weather stripping and stop. I am trying to
figure out how to reposition this hole inward by about 1/4" to tighten
the seal. Of course, this is a problem because the hole is cut through
aluminum, and I cannot figure out how to 'fill" that outward 1/4" of
space if I move the hole slightly inward.

Is there a clever way to address this problem, or must I replace the
entire bottom threshold with a new one and re-drill the hole in the
correct location?

Thanks.

French Doors Ron UK diy 2 September 29th 05 10:13 AM
French Doors and Water Ingress Jim UK diy 5 April 4th 05 10:12 AM
Replacing Euro Lock Cylinders in uPVC French Doors Paul UK diy 1 March 8th 05 06:01 PM
UPVC patio door replacemt to french doors anon UK diy 12 July 16th 04 12:21 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM