Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

Default New asphalt shingle roof - some nails showing - can't get inspection!

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:26:18 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
:news : On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:36:36 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
: wrote:
:
: :"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
: .. .
: :
: : I'm having trouble finding an inspector.
: :
: :snip
: :
: :You were given a couple of suggestions that should have worked:
: :
: :1) Call a major real estate company like Century 21 and get the name of
: an
: :inspector. When people buy homes in your neck of the woods, do they make
: the
: urchase offers contingent on inspection? There *have* to be inspectors.
: :
: :2) Buy a SPOTTING SCOPE, even a cheap one. Use it to see the problem from
: :ground level. That may alleviate the fears some people are having.
: :
: :Have you tried either of these two things?
: :
: I called two major real estate firms' offices in my town, Berkeley, CA:
:
: Prudential
: Coldwell Banker
:
: Prudential recommended a guy and he's the one who said he wasn't up to
: doing an inspection. Nice guy to talk to, though.
:
: Coldwell Banker had a lot of ideas and the first one that came to her
: mind was the one I had already called, my high bidder, whose bid looked
: very fancy with a big yellow sticker sayind "Sign here." That's the guy
: who said he'd do the inspection and then seemed to chicken out.
:
: The spotting scope seems a little far fetched. I have a tripod, and
: maybe it would work, but I don't know where I'd get that. A big sporting
: good's store? A gun shop? I figure I should have the roof inspected by
: someone who's not afraid to climb up there in the first place. What
: benefit is it for me to have some coward looking through a spotting
: scope. An inspector should be willing to get up there. If it's a
: municipal inspector and he won't, why should I be wanting to impress him
: with what he'll see with a scope? I don't want to get the municipal
: inspector's involved in this. I want to keep a low profile with those
: guys. Like a friend of mine said, I don't want to get on their wrong
: side.
:
: Dan
:
:Yes. Gun shop or sporting goods place that sells guns. After you're done
:with it, you can use it to watch wildlife or neighbor ladies undressing. An
:inspector doesn't need to see the brand name stamped into the nail heads -
:just that there are nails showing. As far as inspectors, I can't believe
:that in & around Berkeley, there are no inspectors willing to climb a
:ladder. It's not like you live in some little hamlet 500 miles from the
:nearest supermarket. Hit the yellow pages and keep trying.

Yeah, you've got a point. I'm going to be out of town for the holiday,
but I could do it the following week. Meantime, maybe I can get an
appointment set up tomorrow. Thanks.

Come to think of it I have a feeling that some of those nailheads can be
seen with my small Nikon binoculars (8x23). I just went out there are
some of the nails are clearly visible, at least the side that's getting
direct sun. I spotted a real bad one I missed before, in fact.
: