scale

Default used water heater

I know someone that has a used Rheem 40 gal gas water heater. He claims
it was only installed for about a year or two and then removed when he
renovated the house a few years back. It has been sitting in his garage
since.

Would it be worth installing at my house. IT almost Sounds like trouble

Joseph Meehan

scale wrote:
I know someone that has a used Rheem 40 gal gas water heater. He claims
it was only installed for about a year or two and then removed when he
renovated the house a few years back. It has been sitting in his
garage since.

Would it be worth installing at my house. IT almost Sounds like
trouble

How long has it been sitting since it was used? Why was it replaced
then?

It may be a gem or it may be worthless. Hard to say.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Dr. Hardcrab

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
scale wrote:
I know someone that has a used Rheem 40 gal gas water heater. He claims
it was only installed for about a year or two and then removed when he
renovated the house a few years back. It has been sitting in his
garage since.

Would it be worth installing at my house. IT almost Sounds like
trouble

How long has it been sitting since it was used? Why was it replaced
then?

It may be a gem or it may be worthless. Hard to say.

True.

In my last house, I have a water heater start leaking and my father-in-law
just happened to have a used one in his shed. It had been sitting there for
20 years! I figured, it was a weekend and I needed it now so I would hook it
up and get another later.

I forgot about getting another one until 6 years later.....

scale

i would guess it has been sitting for about 3 years now.

It was replaced because he wanted a 80 gallon or something for larger
demand.

He said there was some rust starting to form at the bottom from
sitting.....which makes me leary of it...

Edwin Pawlowski

"scale" wrote in message
He said there was some rust starting to form at the bottom from
sitting.....which makes me leary of it...

Rust where? If it is the sheet metal housing, no big deal.

Joseph Meehan

scale wrote:
i would guess it has been sitting for about 3 years now.

It was replaced because he wanted a 80 gallon or something for larger
demand.

He said there was some rust starting to form at the bottom from
sitting.....which makes me leary of it...

That rust is likely just sheet metal, not part of the actual tank.

I would go for it, assuming it is free.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

No

I agree with other posters that its probably OK. If the rust is on the
feet or outside you are probably OK. Also, as long as it was drained
and did not freeze. If its gas, look at the mechanics and make sure
they look in reasonable condition. If it has any dents it could be
trouble because the lining could be busted up. if no dents then you are
good to go.

If your really anal, you can replace the dip tube(s), pressure relief
valve and washer on the drain. Flush out with clean water first, if
full of gunk/rust then get a new one. If it runs clear pretty quickly
then go for it. Install it with a pan plumbed to drain or sump if a
leak will cause issues. Whats the worst that can happen?

Joseph Meehan

No wrote:
I agree with other posters that its probably OK. If the rust is on the
feet or outside you are probably OK. Also, as long as it was drained
and did not freeze. If its gas, look at the mechanics and make sure
they look in reasonable condition. If it has any dents it could be
trouble because the lining could be busted up. if no dents then you
are good to go.

If your really anal, you can replace the dip tube(s), pressure relief
valve and washer on the drain.

Better yet replace the drain valve with something that did not come out
of a CrackerJax box like most of the ones that come on water heaters.

Flush out with clean water first, if
full of gunk/rust then get a new one. If it runs clear pretty quickly
then go for it. Install it with a pan plumbed to drain or sump if a
leak will cause issues. Whats the worst that can happen?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

No

Ya, I was thinking of the 'real' one on my 'cold water heater' and what
any washer may look like if it became brittle or dry rotted over many
years. Probably not an issue for the OP but hey, I said if he were
anal.

I know somone who "replace all the rubber" on his vehicles every year
or two. All hoses, belts, some gaskets and of course tires - whether
they need it or not.

Joseph Meehan

No wrote:
Ya, I was thinking of the 'real' one on my 'cold water heater' and
what any washer may look like if it became brittle or dry rotted over
many years. Probably not an issue for the OP but hey, I said if he
were anal.

I know somone who "replace all the rubber" on his vehicles every year
or two. All hoses, belts, some gaskets and of course tires - whether
they need it or not.

Actually replacing all of that rubber stuff every 4-5 years is not a bad
idea. The tyre companies and safety people are suggesting replacing tyres
based not just on lack of tread, but also on age.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

George E. Cawthon

scale wrote:
i would guess it has been sitting for about 3 years now.

It was replaced because he wanted a 80 gallon or something for larger
demand.

He said there was some rust starting to form at the bottom from
sitting.....which makes me leary of it...

Rust from the outer casing means nothing, rust
from the inner tank means is not good. You need
to pull the burner and clean it and make sure it
is working ok. No telling what cooties are
lurking there, and many insects like the smell of
gas, especially leaf cutter bees which will plug
every small hole. When you clean he burner you
should be able to tell if the tank is rusting or
just the outside sheet metal. I would suggest
that it is probably just the sheet metal, if the
tank has remained empty.
Dr. Hardcrab

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

Better yet replace the drain valve with something that did not come out
of a CrackerJax box like most of the ones that come on water heaters.

Isn't that ridiculous? I understand saving money and every penny counts
(during the manufacturing process), but come on!

Joseph Meehan

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote

Better yet replace the drain valve with something that did not
come out of a CrackerJax box like most of the ones that come on
water heaters.

Isn't that ridiculous? I understand saving money and every penny
counts (during the manufacturing process), but come on!

No kidding, they save 50¢ by using total junk.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit