dean

Default Anyone store firewod in a basement?

Hello all,

I have a 70x33' unfinished basement, and there's plenty of space there.
I was planning to move some firewood down there, its already mostly
seasoned (for a wood furnace there). Perhaps a couple of cords, which
is like 4 tons.

Has anyone done this? I'm concerned with the wood getting damp again.
The basement is quite dry, around 50% humidity if I use a dehumidifier
occasionally. And sometimes I might have to bring in seasoned but wet
(rained or snowed on) wood, so it will have to dry. Could keep a fan
blowing around the wood, and keep the dehumidifier on low.

Tips and experience welcomed here!

Dean

Bob

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I have a 70x33' unfinished basement, and there's plenty of

space there.
I was planning to move some firewood down there, its

already mostly
seasoned (for a wood furnace there). Perhaps a couple of

cords, which
is like 4 tons.

Has anyone done this? I'm concerned with the wood getting

damp again.
The basement is quite dry, around 50% humidity if I use a

dehumidifier
occasionally. And sometimes I might have to bring in

seasoned but wet
(rained or snowed on) wood, so it will have to dry. Could

keep a fan
blowing around the wood, and keep the dehumidifier on low.

I might be more worried about termites.

Bob

buffalobill

no experience but...
you've gotta heat the house somehow. but it seems counterproductive to
have to operate a dehumidifier [which amounts to an indoor window air
conditioner with a bucket] to dry the wood electrically at the same
time you are heating the house with wood. [or are you just using the
wood heater for the basement?]
maybe synchronize so a heat duct sends some heat into the basement when
it's too cold and damp. maybe a humidity activated exhaust fan in the
basement like the new ones for the bathrooms. it may be an interesting
way to keep the house humidity at a comfortable level during heating
season.

also, see cornell link regarding FIREWOOD STORAGE AND BUGS at

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Ex...ts.html#N10145

they want your wood outdoors and have some nice insect photos there too.

Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message

I have a 70x33' unfinished basement, and there's plenty of space there.
I was planning to move some firewood down there, its already mostly
seasoned (for a wood furnace there). Perhaps a couple of cords, which
is like 4 tons.

Has anyone done this?

Bugs is the only consideration. If you can trait the wood first it is
really a good idea as the wood will be warmer and dryer, thus burning
better. Wood is often a hiding/nesting place for carpenter ants and other
insects, as well as moss and mold on the bark.

Solve the insects and it is a good idea.

m Ransley

Spiders , carpenter ants, termites etc. keep it outside its been heating
homes fine for 10000+ years with few compliaints, just cover it on top.

JerryD\(upstateNY\)

Stacking wood outside is much better.
Like everyone is saying bugs are a problem you don't want to have.
I bought one length of 14" diameter PSM SDR 35 PVC sewer pipe to use as a
chute for my firewood.
I cut a hole in my basement wall, cut about 5' off the bell end of the pipe,
stuck it into the hole so the bell was just sticking out of the basement
wall, pointed it down toward the basement floor at about a 45º angle.
Once I had the pipe about where it was going to be I drilled some holes in
the top part of the pipe, that would be in the wall, and installed some
carriage bolts from the inside and put nuts on them.
These would inbed into the concrete and hold the pipe in place.
Then I put forms around the pipe on both sides of the wall and poured some
5000 pound bag mix concrete to fill the void between the wall and the pipe.
After the concrete was cured and I had removed the forms, I trimmed the pipe
in the basement to where I thought it should be.
Then, after taking the rubber seal out of the bell of the pipe, I stuck the
left over piece of pipe into the bell and cut that off to a height that
would be comfortable to throw wood into.
This way I can remove that piece of pipe if it happens to be in the way for
whatever reason.
I stack my as wood close to the pipe as I can.
This has saved me many steps in getting the wood into the basement.
I bought one of those galvanized "ash cans" that are like a regular
galvanized garbage can but only about 18" tall.
This fits over the outside end of the pipe to keep out the rain, snow,
raccoons, ect.
At the bottom of the pipe, I cut a circle of 2" Styrofoam and stick that in
the end of the pipe so the heat won't escape up the pipe.

--
JerryD(upstateNY)
I have a 70x33' unfinished basement, and there's plenty of space there.
I was planning to move some firewood down there, its already mostly
seasoned (for a wood furnace there). Perhaps a couple of cords, which
is like 4 tons.

Has anyone done this?

Bugs is the only consideration. If you can trait the wood first it is
really a good idea as the wood will be warmer and dryer, thus burning
better. Wood is often a hiding/nesting place for carpenter ants and other
insects, as well as moss and mold on the bark.

Solve the insects and it is a good idea.

David Martel

Dean,

My mother does this. She stores about1/4 cord in the basement so she can
fire up the furnace without going out. Moisture from the wood has never been
a problem. As others have said watch out for bugs.

Dave M.

I cut, junk, split and store my wood outside in the wind (covered) from
april to august - then the full 5 cords go into the basement. Never had
a problem with bugs or moisture.

Larry Bud

dean wrote:
Hello all,

I have a 70x33' unfinished basement, and there's plenty of space there.
I was planning to move some firewood down there, its already mostly
seasoned (for a wood furnace there). Perhaps a couple of cords, which
is like 4 tons.

Has anyone done this? I'm concerned with the wood getting damp again.
The basement is quite dry, around 50% humidity if I use a dehumidifier
occasionally. And sometimes I might have to bring in seasoned but wet
(rained or snowed on) wood, so it will have to dry. Could keep a fan
blowing around the wood, and keep the dehumidifier on low.

I have been keeping firewood in my attached garage for 3 years with no
ill effects. I haven't gotten any bugs or other critters, although the
garage is NOT heated, so the bugs are either dead or in limbo in the
winter.

It sure burns a hell of a lot better, though.

Harry K

Larry Bud wrote:
dean wrote:
[...]

Mine is stored two ways. That cut this year is stored outside
uncovered to cure. In the fall I fill my woodshed just off the patio
with 3 1/2 cord and move another 3 cord into the back 3 season porch.
That wood was cut the summer prior so it has had one summer and one
winter to cure. Also no problem with bugs other than the occasional
spider. Usually only use about 5 cord. Oil useage per year? I fill
my 250 gal tank about every 2 years and even then it only needs topping
off, never more than 1/2 tank.

As to moisture in basement - wood will cure down to, or absorb
moisture, to match the prevailing air moisture. Thus if you have 50%
humidity in the basement, your wood will stabilize at about 50%. Cured
outside you can get it down to about 30%. That info is from a wood
heating technical book lo those many years ago. I probably still have
it around someplace but...

Harry K

UNIVERSAL MIND

I don't recommend it- firewood is filled with tiny insects, like ants,
termites, etc.- and they come out of the wood and infest your house

keep it just outside your door, and bring in only enough to fire your
stove for a day at a time

First, cover the wood outside- top and a bit of sides. Keep water out.

Carpenter ants attack relatively wet wood, or die, once brought in.
I've never seen termites in firewood, ever, in NE USA. Spiders, however
will survive the trip into the house; if they're a problem, wear
gloves, and remove them outside. Watch out for Brown Recluse.

Stacking wood inside, where it would receive some heat radiated by the
appliance, does 2 other good things- dries the wood some so it burns
better, and humidifies the house some, which is a real good thing in
Jan.

Moisture content of wood is affected by temp and RH of storage area.
The higher temp indoors will help keep the % moisture in the wood down.

Dehumidifier would not seem advisable.

Bob

"Harry K" wrote in message
As to moisture in basement - wood will cure down to, or

absorb
moisture, to match the prevailing air moisture. Thus if

you have 50%
humidity in the basement, your wood will stabilize at

about 50%. Cured
outside you can get it down to about 30%. That info is

from a wood
heating technical book lo those many years ago. I

probably still have
it around someplace but...

I don't think it works quite like that. If it did, storing
wood in 100% humidity would make it 100% water. Not too
likely. Water evaporates even at 90% humidity - it just does
it slower.

Bob

Bob

wrote in message

Carpenter ants attack relatively wet wood, or die, once

brought in.
I've never seen termites in firewood, ever, in NE USA.

Spiders, however
will survive the trip into the house; if they're a

problem, wear
gloves, and remove them outside. Watch out for Brown

Recluse.

I was splitting some old firewood the other day that was
just filled with termites.

Bob

nospambob

Termites and ants just outside your door can't find their way through
the door?

On 9 Nov 2005 07:45:06 -0800, "UNIVERSAL MIND"
wrote:

I don't recommend it- firewood is filled with tiny insects, like ants,
termites, etc.- and they come out of the wood and infest your house

keep it just outside your door, and bring in only enough to fire your
stove for a day at a time

SteveB

Seems like double the work to me. Carry it all down there, stack it, carry
it back up. PLUS, all the critters you provide prime housing for. Spiders,
termites, ants, all sorts of nasty things.

Spray you say? Spray poison in your basement? What is wrong with that
picture?

I'd leave it outside, cover it, and be done with it.

Steve

Harry K wrote:

As to moisture in basement - wood will cure down to, or absorb
moisture, to match the prevailing air moisture. Thus if you have 50%
humidity in the basement, your wood will stabilize at about 50%...

No.

That info is from a wood heating technical book lo those many years ago.
I probably still have it around someplace but...

You might well look for it.

Nick

Michael Daly

On 9-Nov-2005, nospambob wrote:

Termites and ants just outside your door can't find their way through
the door?

Not if your house is constructed properly.

Mike
nospambob

Our street was lined at the curb with flowering plum trees that had
some limbs falling off due to termite infestation while still living.
City FINALLY removed them.

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:16:05 -0800, "Bob"
wrote:

wrote in message

Carpenter ants attack relatively wet wood, or die, once

brought in.
I've never seen termites in firewood, ever, in NE USA.

Spiders, however
will survive the trip into the house; if they're a

problem, wear
gloves, and remove them outside. Watch out for Brown

Recluse.

I was splitting some old firewood the other day that was
just filled with termites.

Bob

UNIVERSAL MIND

if you bring them in yourself, they don't have to find their way in-
they ARE in

dean

Don't you need to bring in the queen termite for it to be dangerous?
Just a few of the workers will die off eventually and not be a problem.

Chances are you would see a whole nest in a piece of wood, when you
were splitting and sawing the wood, no?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob" wrote in message

"Harry K" wrote in message
As to moisture in basement - wood will cure down to, or

absorb
moisture, to match the prevailing air moisture. Thus if

you have 50%
humidity in the basement, your wood will stabilize at

about 50%.

I don't think it works quite like that. If it did, storing
wood in 100% humidity would make it 100% water. Not too
likely. Water evaporates even at 90% humidity - it just does
it slower.

No, it does not work that way one is relative humidity, the other term is
the actual percentage of the wood. Air dried lumber will get down to about
12%, kiln dried down to about 7%. Cut a piece of wood from a tree and weigh
it. Then put it on a scale over time to see what happens and there will be
a lot of loss of moisture. The rule of thumb for drying lumber is one year
per inch of thickness. Same concept with firewood, the more exposure, the
faster it dries.

dean

Yeah if you look into moisture in wood, there is a lot of liquid water,
which accounts for most of the total water content. Its spunged up
inside the cells. This all dries up completely, irrespective of outside
humidity levels, although it may be slowed by high relative humidiy.

There is also the vapor part of water in wood, and that does decrease
with decreasing relative humity, but its only a small part of the total
water content of the wood.

Its not quite that simple, as there are hygroscopic chemicals in the
wood that do naturally absorb water to a certain equilibrium, but you
get the jist of the argument (I hope).

Dean

dean

Harry, Nick is right. There is liquid water within wood, and that will
ALL evaporate unless the outside humidity is 100%. The dryer it is
outside, the faster it will evaporate. Once all the liquid part is gone
from within the cells, the vapor part in the wood will form an
equilibrium with the outside air, but that's not a big part of the
water content of wood.

Dean

Harry K

dean wrote:
Harry, Nick is right. There is liquid water within wood, and that will
ALL evaporate unless the outside humidity is 100%. The dryer it is
outside, the faster it will evaporate. Once all the liquid part is gone
from within the cells, the vapor part in the wood will form an
equilibrium with the outside air, but that's not a big part of the
water content of wood.

Dean

Much as I dread getting into that back closet I guess I will have to
dig and try to find it. I would not be surprised to find my
recollection of something over 30 years ago is wrong.

Harry K

Tom Quackenbush

Harry K. wrote:
dean wrote:
Harry, Nick is right. There is liquid water within wood, and that will
ALL evaporate unless the outside humidity is 100%. The dryer it is
outside, the faster it will evaporate. Once all the liquid part is gone
from within the cells, the vapor part in the wood will form an
equilibrium with the outside air, but that's not a big part of the
water content of wood.

Much as I dread getting into that back closet I guess I will have to
dig and try to find it. I would not be surprised to find my
recollection of something over 30 years ago is wrong.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp...tr113/ch03.pdf

Table 3-4 shows the relationship between temperature, relative
humidity and wood moisture content.

R,
Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Harry K

Tom Quackenbush wrote:
Harry K. wrote:
dean wrote:
Harry, Nick is right. There is liquid water within wood, and that will
ALL evaporate unless the outside humidity is 100%. The dryer it is
outside, the faster it will evaporate. Once all the liquid part is gone
from within the cells, the vapor part in the wood will form an
equilibrium with the outside air, but that's not a big part of the
water content of wood.

Much as I dread getting into that back closet I guess I will have to
dig and try to find it. I would not be surprised to find my
recollection of something over 30 years ago is wrong.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp...tr113/ch03.pdf

Table 3-4 shows the relationship between temperature, relative
humidity and wood moisture content.

R,
Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

So by the moisture table it looks like my recollection is way wrong.

Harry K