Buck Turgidson

Default Using Different Baseboard Moldings

Probably a strange question, but I don't want to have an ugly house. I
have put down baseboards in the 3 bedrooms of my house, and am getting
ready to do the LR and DR (it is a rambler with the BRs on the same
level as the LR and DR). For the BRs I used plain one-piece baseboards
from the BORG.

For the LR and DR, I am wondering if it would be tacky, detract, or
somehow look out of place, if I used fancier baseboards, such as 2
piece - base and base cap? I seem to have the idea that a theme should
be common throughout a house, but then I have a lot of misconceptions in
life. The 2 different types of baseboards would never meet, since the
BR doors separate them.

Any comments on how this would look would be appreciated. FWIW, I have
HW floors throughout.

Colbyt

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Probably a strange question, but I don't want to have an ugly house. I
have put down baseboards in the 3 bedrooms of my house, and am getting
ready to do the LR and DR (it is a rambler with the BRs on the same
level as the LR and DR). For the BRs I used plain one-piece baseboards
from the BORG.

For the LR and DR, I am wondering if it would be tacky, detract, or
somehow look out of place, if I used fancier baseboards, such as 2
piece - base and base cap? I seem to have the idea that a theme should
be common throughout a house, but then I have a lot of misconceptions in
life. The 2 different types of baseboards would never meet, since the
BR doors separate them.

Any comments on how this would look would be appreciated. FWIW, I have
HW floors throughout.

Just an opinion. I have always and still do think they should match.

At times working on some older homes this has cost me some serious money per
foot.

Colbyt

C & M

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
snip
For the LR and DR, I am wondering if it would be tacky, detract, or
somehow look out of place, if I used fancier baseboards, such as 2
piece - base and base cap?

snip

It's your house, Buck. Do what you want, realizing that when the rooms are
*not* contiguous no one
will readily notice the change. Don't do it in a large, open combined area.

Bill

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Probably a strange question, but I don't want to have an ugly house. I
have put down baseboards in the 3 bedrooms of my house, and am getting
ready to do the LR and DR (it is a rambler with the BRs on the same
level as the LR and DR). For the BRs I used plain one-piece baseboards
from the BORG.

For the LR and DR, I am wondering if it would be tacky, detract, or
somehow look out of place, if I used fancier baseboards, such as 2
piece - base and base cap? I seem to have the idea that a theme should
be common throughout a house, but then I have a lot of misconceptions in
life. The 2 different types of baseboards would never meet, since the
BR doors separate them.

Any comments on how this would look would be appreciated. FWIW, I have
HW floors throughout.

Since this is your LR and DR so go ahead and do something nice. No one
will see your BR and if it "matches". Nothing makes hardwood shine
quite like nice baseboards. I would never leave a room without
installing at least 4" tall baseboards! They can really make the room.

What you propose is done all the time. Go for it. Many spend more
money (nicer materials, nicer details) on the LR and DR than the
the kid's bedroom.

Agreed. The BB is just another part of the decor and finish. There is
no problam at all having different baseboards in different rooms. We
have 4 different BB's in our house. Go ahead and use them to give each
individual room the look and feel you desire for that room. Heck, you
may even wish to paint each room a different colour ;-)