Default Strain Relief Question

I had a "mystery" wire running through a wall I needed to remove for my
kitchen remodel. I say mystery since I could not figure out why it
went from the attic to basement and what it was controlling. Rather
than spend a ton of time tracing it, I just killed the main breaker and
put two junction boxes in - one in the attic, one in the basement (both
accessable) - and moved it to pass through the wall that was not
getting torn out. It got me thinking - is there a code requirement on
how many pieces of romex can be fastened with one strain relief? I
used standard 4X4 metal boxes with the round strain reliefs in a side
knockout (not the ones with the built in dual clamps on the bottom of
the box). For the attic run I used two strain reliefs with the wire
entering and exiting on opposite sides - the same way it was running.
In the basement I fed them both through one knockout because I only had
one left. It's standard 14-2 romex.

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Most people do not use strain relief connectors on romex. The two screw
connector is more common. This connector is round and attaches to a knock
out hole.
Yes there are limits to the number of cables that can be run through the
connector. Check the connectors listing for amount and SIZES of cables that
are allowed.

Two 14-2 are probably ok

I already had the wall open as part of the remodel, along with the wall
I was moving it too. It had to be moved, so the only advantage of
tracing the circuit would have been to turn off a single breaker
instead of the main, or avoid splicing a dead wire. Since it appears
to be original wiring I am 99% sure it is powering something somewhere.
Didn't feel like moving insulation or basement ceiling tiles to figure
it out.

The two screw clamp connector is the type I used.