Vince

Default Lack of Attic Insutlation from House Builder

I had need to be up in my attic crawl space recently, and I noticed
that in the area immediately above the plumbing wall that is common to
my kitchen and to the bathroom, there was no insulation at all.

Is there any logical reason for the missing insultation other than
that the space is narrower than the normal distance between joists and
the batts of insulation would not fit, unless cut ?

I suppose that I should simply add what I believe is missing, but
thought that I would ask here first. I think that at least in the
area around the stack/vent insulation should be added, since this
leads directly into an unheated basement, etc.

Thanks.

Vince
Long Island, NY

SQLit

"Vince" wrote in message

I had need to be up in my attic crawl space recently, and I noticed
that in the area immediately above the plumbing wall that is common to
my kitchen and to the bathroom, there was no insulation at all.

Is there any logical reason for the missing insultation other than
that the space is narrower than the normal distance between joists and
the batts of insulation would not fit, unless cut ?

I suppose that I should simply add what I believe is missing, but
thought that I would ask here first. I think that at least in the
area around the stack/vent insulation should be added, since this
leads directly into an unheated basement, etc.

Thanks.

Vince
Long Island, NY

New house? Call the builder for an inspection.
Probably the worker bees just got lazy.

Stretch

Fill the gap at the top of the wall with a fiberglass batt. Otherwise
rou would have to blow the whole wall cavity full. Put the vapor
barrier on the "warm in winter" side if you are in a heating dominant
climate. If you are in a mixed climate, skip the vapor barrier. If
you are in a cooling dominant climate, put the vapor barrier on the
"cold in winter" side.

Stretch

buffalobill

that's where you run the tv cable and internet wires.

i know an insulation company here is booked with jobs for 2 trucks and
crews for 8 weeks ahead.

Welcome to the world of sleazy developers, crooked contractors,
drugged up and hung over American workers, and Mexican "Manuel Laboro"
illegals that can't understand their foreman's ( who doesn't care
anyway) English. If that's all that's wrong with your house, you did
really well. But it does not bode well, you might have a pro home
inspector look it over carefully, there might be other things like
faulty electricals that could cause a fire, waxed nails that could make
the house fall apart, a missing moisture barrier that could lead to
mold, or many other things. I have even seen a house where the builder
buried an old washer with holes shot through it instead of a septic
tank.-Jitney

Whole House Attic Fan control Ronbo Home Repair 2 May 31st 09 09:36 PM
Hot attic AL Home Repair 11 July 17th 05 06:38 PM
Cracks in House Wall - Builder or Surveyor ?? Mike UK diy 12 July 4th 05 10:11 PM
Attic mold Joe Home Ownership 3 December 25th 04 04:42 PM
Attic Fans, Open windows, help me figure it out :) CoogarXR Home Repair 8 May 15th 04 03:59 AM