Paul

Default Recommended water heater

I need to replace my water heater, and my options have boiled down to
two: Home Depot has a 12-yr warranteed, GE 40 gallon natural gas heater
for $380, which I would install with my dad; or a local plumber (whom I
trust) will install a Bradford-White for $900 (same specs). I've heard
a few pretty good things about Bradford-White, but are they really that
much better than GE? Any thoughts would be helpful.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to replace my water heater, and my options have boiled down to
two: Home Depot has a 12-yr warranteed, GE 40 gallon natural gas heater
for $380, which I would install with my dad; or a local plumber (whom I
trust) will install a Bradford-White for $900 (same specs). I've heard
a few pretty good things about Bradford-White, but are they really that
much better than GE? Any thoughts would be helpful.

I can't tell you which is better but if they're the same specs, then I would
imagine they are pretty similar in quality.
Here's a site that may help you choose:

http://waterheaterrescue.com/pages/W...er-heater.html

Paul

James, thanks for the link. I'm printing it right now.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
James, thanks for the link. I'm printing it right now.

No worries Paul. I haven't delved too much into the link myself but figure
I will. I've got a 12 year old gas water heater that I know will probably
go south on the coldest day of the year! I do remember they recommend
buying something like a 6 year model and upgrading with their anodes
etc..... Of course they are there to make some cash but some of what they
said makes some pretty good sense. I think one item to look for, which
most brochures don't tell you, is the insulation R value that is used. The
higher the better obviously. Good luck with it!
Cheers,
jlc

Paul

Hey James, as it turned out, the leak was simply coming from the pipes
above my water heater, and let the water drip down the middle of the
water heater, out the bottom. When I started catching the water
dripping from teh pipe, there was no more leaking at the bottom. And
so 15 bucks worth of pipe will fix this, instead of 300 or more for a
new water heater. In the event, however, of needing a new heater, I've
decided to go with a 12-year heater. I get a heater replaced if it
goes bad up through 12 years (at least the GE ones at Home Depot are
like this--that's what the HD folks are telling me over the phone).
Plus, you save on the gas bill, so I'd rather shell out an extra 80
bucks or so and get that back over the life of the heater, than save 80
just to get a new one 6 years from now. Anyways, thanks again for the
links. I'm glad I found out the real cause!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Paul, jerry attrick wrote:
I've heard a few pretty good things about Bradford-White, but are they really

that much better than GE? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Had good service with lochinvar

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ter-46546-.htm