Mike Hartigan

Default Noisy sump pump

I have a 3/4 hp sump pump with 1 1/2" PVC carrying the water outside.
The problem is that this pipe runs through a hold cut into a floor
joist. An awful lot of motor noise is transferred to the joist and,
hence, into the family room directly above. I have a check valve
with neoprene couplers installed about 3' above the pump, which I was
hoping would quiet this a bit. Maybe it does a little, but not much.
Is there a product marketed specifically for this purpose? Perhaps a
length of flexible (reinforced?) hose would help? Or maybe wrapping
the PVC in foam where it passes through the joist?

Any other ideas?
Bob

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
.net...
I have a 3/4 hp sump pump with 1 1/2" PVC carrying the

water outside.
The problem is that this pipe runs through a hold cut into

a floor
joist. An awful lot of motor noise is transferred to the

joist and,
hence, into the family room directly above. I have a

check valve
with neoprene couplers installed about 3' above the pump,

which I was
hoping would quiet this a bit. Maybe it does a little,

but not much.
Is there a product marketed specifically for this purpose?

Perhaps a
length of flexible (reinforced?) hose would help? Or

maybe wrapping
the PVC in foam where it passes through the joist?

Can you push it away from contact with the joist with your
hand and silence the problem noise? Then try the foam. Or,
suspend it with nylon cord so that it doesn't touch the
joist. The flexible hose might fix it also. Or some
combination.

Bob

Pop

Go to your local supply place and look for the soft rubber
couplers; put one between the pump and the pipe; it'll help a
lot. Then take the place wher it goes thru the wood and somehow
fasten it securely against the wood so it can't bounce or move
around. Worked well here.

HTH

[...]
:
: Any other ideas?

mm

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:11:03 -0600, Mike Hartigan
wrote:

I have a 3/4 hp sump pump with 1 1/2" PVC carrying the water outside.
The problem is that this pipe runs through a hold cut into a floor
joist. An awful lot of motor noise is transferred to the joist and,
hence, into the family room directly above. I have a check valve
with neoprene couplers installed about 3' above the pump, which I was
hoping would quiet this a bit. Maybe it does a little, but not much.
Is there a product marketed specifically for this purpose? Perhaps a
length of flexible (reinforced?) hose would help? Or maybe wrapping
the PVC in foam where it passes through the joist?

Any other ideas?

I'm not sure but isn't 1 1/2 inches pretty small. I can't go check
now, but I think my pump is that big and it uses 2 inch pipe I think.

But mostly I agree with the others. Either make sure it doesn't touch
the joist or make sure it is firmly attached to one. The first if
possible.

Here I'm not talking about much noise == I have never heard my sump
pump before, in 22 years, but this year it is so wet that it runs a
lot, I guess. It's in the basement in the left front of the house,
and when I'm in my office on the left front of the second floor, I can
hear it start and finish. But There are no pipes or metal things
between the two places. Maybe the heating vent. But I've never heard
it before.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.