Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default LED light bulbs - temperature sensivity

Being disappointed with LED light bulbs that did not last a single
month, I was looking for alternatives. I was surprised to find in the
website http://www.superbrightleds.com/MR16_specs.htm the following
warning:

"important note concerning the installation of LED products:

"Excessive heat will cause LEDs to fail prematurely.
"They must be operated in an ambient temperature,not exceeding room
temperature, for maximum life time.
"As the temperature rises above 23 degrees C, the life time goes down.

"Active cooling, such as a small fan, may be required if they are
installed in a small enclosed space without ventilation."

Since summer weather temperatures go way above 23 degrees Celsius
(73-74 degrees Farenheit) does this mean that LED light bulbs are
useful only as refrigerator lights or in air conditioned rooms?

About two years ago I purchased from the C. Crane Company a LED light
bulb indicated in their catalogue as item #20L. It contains 20 LEDs,
produces light equivalent to at least 25W incandescent bulb, and is
still functioning satisfactorily even though I did not take any
precautions whatsoever to keep it cool. Unfortunately, this model has
been discontinued, but the fact that the bulb survived summer
temperatures suggests to me that the technology for manufacturing LED
light bulbs tolerant to higher temperatures does exist.

I would appreciate it if someone here can recommend and provide
references for vendors selling 120V LED light bulbs with standard
household screw base connection, which produce light equivalent to 25W
incandescent bulbs or brighter and which can tolerate summer
temperatures.

Can I Mix 40 Watts and 25 Watts Light Bulbs in One Fixture? [email protected] Home Repair 23 March 31st 18 05:02 PM
Want a longer lasting light bulb Mel Home Repair 17 October 26th 05 02:25 PM
Burned Out Light Bulbs [email protected] Home Repair 42 March 4th 05 04:28 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM