Bob

Default Purchase of dolly for moving things

I need to purchase a dolly to move items(it would be for homeowner use as
opposed to commercial use). I would like to get a model that will handle
moving appliances(dishwasher/washer/dryer) as well as do the regular
stuff(boxes/etc). Is there a model that doesn't isn't super expensive that
will do this. If so where is it available?( It seems like a lot of the ones
I see in Home Depot,etc are not very good quality)

Thank you,

Bob

SQLit

"Bob" wrote in message
I need to purchase a dolly to move items(it would be for homeowner use as
opposed to commercial use). I would like to get a model that will handle
moving appliances(dishwasher/washer/dryer) as well as do the regular
stuff(boxes/etc). Is there a model that doesn't isn't super expensive

that
will do this. If so where is it available?( It seems like a lot of the

ones
I see in Home Depot,etc are not very good quality)

Thank you,

Bob

We have several of ones like these
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/sea...h_type=keyword

specifically the
FAIRBANKS Mfr. Model # ED15-1830-3HR

If you paint them first and then take a bit of care they last a long time

Roger Taylor

"Bob" wrote in message
I need to purchase a dolly to move items(it would be for homeowner use as
opposed to commercial use). I would like to get a model that will handle
moving appliances(dishwasher/washer/dryer) as well as do the regular
stuff(boxes/etc). Is there a model that doesn't isn't super expensive that
will do this. If so where is it available?( It seems like a lot of the ones
I see in Home Depot,etc are not very good quality)

Unfortunately the old dollies are better built than many you find in big box
stores today. I prefer steel to aluminum frames, too. I found a really old
one, with ball bearings and hvy construction, discarded in a vacant lot near
my house, and after $25 worth of welding on the lower platform, it performs
splendidly. You might find one of these in local garage sales. You can get
an idea of the styles and features if you google for "hand truck". For
instance at www.handtruckstore.com you will find something called "Little
Giant 2" for about $120, which has some features I like: Simple design,
heavy duty wheels, stair glides (important!), and no bells nor whistles.
Stair glides allow you to go up and down stairs with "no bumping", a neat
feature. But nothing beats pushing/holding/feeling, so by all means do not
buy by mail unless the model you want, and have seen, is locally
unavailable. As I don't like the built-in strap models, I buy two sets of
tie-down nylon straps that have ratchet tighteners, then attach them for the
rare times when I need them. With this simple setup, I have moved everything
from fridges, to washers, to trash cans, with ease.
BTW, you may not *want* commercial quality, but I highly recommend it, for
longevity and ease of use. You might also consider your neighbors - many
folks of toolsy persuasion have them, and may be happy to lend them out, as
they are nearly unbustible.

Andy Asberry

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:32:46 -0700, "Bob"
wrote:

I need to purchase a dolly to move items(it would be for homeowner use as
opposed to commercial use). I would like to get a model that will handle
moving appliances(dishwasher/washer/dryer) as well as do the regular
stuff(boxes/etc). Is there a model that doesn't isn't super expensive that
will do this. If so where is it available?( It seems like a lot of the ones
I see in Home Depot,etc are not very good quality)

Thank you,

Bob

http://www.yeats.net/
PipeDown

"Bob" wrote in message
I need to purchase a dolly to move items(it would be for homeowner use as
opposed to commercial use). I would like to get a model that will handle
moving appliances(dishwasher/washer/dryer) as well as do the regular
stuff(boxes/etc). Is there a model that doesn't isn't super expensive that
will do this. If so where is it available?( It seems like a lot of the ones
I see in Home Depot,etc are not very good quality)

Thank you,

Bob

Don't buy anything that folds or requires assembly. Only buy welded frames.
Most dollies will handle the bulk of what you need except refrigerators and
really heavy planters (1/2 wine barrel etc.). Pay attention to the max load
rating. You can sometimes find used ones at the used office furniture
stores.

OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Boxing things up to move house... Scott M UK diy 16 January 22nd 04 04:14 PM
it's the little things which can kill you. pyotr filipivich Metalworking 51 December 29th 03 01:41 PM
Things I wish I'd realised [email protected] UK diy 3 September 15th 03 02:13 AM