anonomous

Default steam radiator valve ?

Hi all. I hope I am in the right forum. I just moved into an apartment
building, and am on the top floor. Needless to say, the valves on my
convector are old and I think undersized for the location. The super only
has 1 size. Should I buy my own, specifically designed for the longer run?
Any ideas about manufacturers? Hoffman is one that is used quite often here
in NY, but I have seen several other brands such as Maid o Mist and
Heattimer "varivalve" models.
Thanks for the input.

Speedy Jim

anonomous wrote:
Hi all. I hope I am in the right forum. I just moved into an apartment
building, and am on the top floor. Needless to say, the valves on my
convector are old and I think undersized for the location. The super only
has 1 size. Should I buy my own, specifically designed for the longer run?
Any ideas about manufacturers? Hoffman is one that is used quite often here
in NY, but I have seen several other brands such as Maid o Mist and
Heattimer "varivalve" models.
Thanks for the input.

This is a single-pipe steam system??

And you want to replace the air vent?

Some info he
http://www.bellgossett.com/Press/balancing.html

Good luck

Jim
HeatMan

"anonomous" wrote in message
Hi all. I hope I am in the right forum. I just moved into an apartment
building, and am on the top floor. Needless to say, the valves on my
convector are old and I think undersized for the location. The super only
has 1 size. Should I buy my own, specifically designed for the longer

run?
Any ideas about manufacturers? Hoffman is one that is used quite often

here
in NY, but I have seen several other brands such as Maid o Mist and
Heattimer "varivalve" models.
Thanks for the input.

The valve or the vent? Is the rad not heating up well(fast enough)?

anonomous

Hi:

From what I can tell, the boiler is on for about 15-20 minutes and it takes
about 5 minutes for the steam to reach my rads. there are Hoffman 43's on
all of them, and I would bet the whole buildings rads have the same. From
what I gather, my rads should have larger vents. I can get an adjustable
Hoffman or Maid o Mist or Gorton valves that have a larger vent. What would
you recommend?

Thanks.

Ben
"HeatMan" wrote in message

"anonomous" wrote in message
Hi all. I hope I am in the right forum. I just moved into an apartment
building, and am on the top floor. Needless to say, the valves on my
convector are old and I think undersized for the location. The super

only
has 1 size. Should I buy my own, specifically designed for the longer

run?
Any ideas about manufacturers? Hoffman is one that is used quite often

here
in NY, but I have seen several other brands such as Maid o Mist and
Heattimer "varivalve" models.
Thanks for the input.

The valve or the vent? Is the rad not heating up well(fast enough)?

Trekking Tom

The vent on a steam system is designed to let the cold air out then
make a seal. If you have steam pouring out of it, the system needs
work and is wasting energy. If the system is sealed properly and you
wanted more heat you could put a fan near the radiator. A vacumm pump
on a sealed system can lower the boiling point of water and save some
energy.

Tom

Speedy Jim

anonomous wrote:
Hi:

From what I can tell, the boiler is on for about 15-20 minutes and it takes
about 5 minutes for the steam to reach my rads. there are Hoffman 43's on
all of them, and I would bet the whole buildings rads have the same. From
what I gather, my rads should have larger vents. I can get an adjustable
Hoffman or Maid o Mist or Gorton valves that have a larger vent. What would
you recommend?

Thanks.

Ben

You may have to convince the bldg super to
increase the differential on the controlling
thermostat so the boiler runs longer.

As for changing the vent, I don't have
a brand preference, but if you can find one
with larger capacity, try it.

And a small fan blowing thru the 'vector
may aid heat transfer.
Jim

"HeatMan" wrote in message

"anonomous" wrote in message
.. .

Hi all. I hope I am in the right forum. I just moved into an apartment
building, and am on the top floor. Needless to say, the valves on my
convector are old and I think undersized for the location. The super

only

has 1 size. Should I buy my own, specifically designed for the longer

run?

Any ideas about manufacturers? Hoffman is one that is used quite often

here

in NY, but I have seen several other brands such as Maid o Mist and
Heattimer "varivalve" models.
Thanks for the input.

The valve or the vent? Is the rad not heating up well(fast enough)?

anonomous

Thanks for the feedback. Since the super isnt installing different vents
depending on rad location, I doubt he will have the boiler on longer,
especially if I am the only one complaining. I will install larger vents
and the fan sounds like a good idea. If these don't do the trick, I will
open up my mouth. It would be ridiculous to pay my own electricity for
space heaters to suppliment what I should be entitled to.

thanks again
"anonomous" wrote in message
Hi all. I hope I am in the right forum. I just moved into an apartment
building, and am on the top floor. Needless to say, the valves on my
convector are old and I think undersized for the location. The super only
has 1 size. Should I buy my own, specifically designed for the longer

run?
Any ideas about manufacturers? Hoffman is one that is used quite often

here
in NY, but I have seen several other brands such as Maid o Mist and
Heattimer "varivalve" models.
Thanks for the input.

Stretch

There may be a problem with the main line steam vents. They should be
sized depending on the steam load connected to each main.

Stretch

HeatMan

Wrong overall. Not bad, how does it seal? Tell me more about the vacuum.

Trekking Tom wrote in message
The vent on a steam system is designed to let the cold air out then
make a seal. If you have steam pouring out of it, the system needs
work and is wasting energy. If the system is sealed properly and you
wanted more heat you could put a fan near the radiator. A vacumm pump
on a sealed system can lower the boiling point of water and save some
energy.

Tom

How should I use a steam cleaner? Peter UK diy 24 September 12th 05 08:21 PM
steam cabinet in bathroom [email protected] UK diy 0 May 15th 05 11:26 AM
Building a Steam Room Sandy K. Home Repair 1 March 11th 05 08:25 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
Need Help With Stuck Steam Pipe Vito Cavallo Home Repair 7 November 18th 03 03:51 PM