BN

Default Tankles Water Heater

Does anyone know if the tankless water heaters are any good? Any
drawbacks. I have natural gas supply in the house from the street.

Thanks

Here is an example:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...k.0& MID=9876
m Ransley

That link pulled up generators. I have a Bosch 117000 btu battery
ignition. It is great and has a 4 yr payback over electric tank for me.
If you run the water to slowly it may not come on but other than that it
is fine. For several uses or a family look at a 180000 btu unit, look
at Rinnai, and Takagi with remote thermostats. You need alot of gas and
may need to resize the gas line inside, plan it out before you buy.

Joseph Meehan

BN wrote:
Does anyone know if the tankless water heaters are any good? Any
drawbacks. I have natural gas supply in the house from the street.

Thanks

Here is an example:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...k.0& MID=9876

The jury is still out. They are more complex and not many local techs
have much experience with them in the US. Not many users have experience
with them. On the other hand they are a mature product having been the norm
in many parts of the world, take up less space and have less idle losses
than a standard tank type does. For now I think I will stick with the tank
type, but I could be talked into one if the price was right. I would not
count on the big energy savings some suggest. You are likely to get some
energy savings, but that would depend on your usage profile.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

m Ransley

Energy saving depend on use, for a single family or infrequent use it
will be greatest , perhaps 25%, for a family maybe 15%. There are units
by Takagi and Rinnai that have much higher efficiencies than regular
tanks, cost is high but gas is also up so payback and savings are much
greater now. I replaced a highly insulated electric tank and verifyibly
have a 4 yr payback on a 700$-US unit, Chgo area rates, im very happy.
Also no sediment builds up so efficiency does not go down as gas tanks
do. Apx 1/3 of your gas bill can be HW, tanlkess do make a large impact.
and are largely missunderstood and overlooked.

m Ransley

JM You state, "the jury is not stll out". You may not be convinced,
but myself and 99% of others I have read see the savings. As an example
my summer gas bill is 5-6 therm now with cooking all food on gas and 1-2
loads in a gas dryer each week . Yes I transfered from electric tank,
but my electric bill dropped 30$ a month with a 5 yr old Rheem with foam
insulation and fiberglass blanket . The electric was set to its lowest
setting, apx 105f, if it was set 20-30f higher as many do my verified
savings would have been much greater. I save apx 200 a year as I figure
it, at that savings I can afford a repair when it occurs.

Without a tank to rot out in 10-15 years, or build sediment and
reduce efficiency the tankless life of 20-30 years becomes an even more
atractive option . I just pulled out an 18 year old tank at a different
location on Chicago water it had apx 12" -14" of rock hard sediment in
it, that heater was probably running at 50% efficiency, where that won`t
happen on tankless, how much efficiency robbing sediment is in your
tank?

hvactech2

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:46:37 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

The jury is still out. They are more complex and not many local techs
have much experience with them in the US. Not many users have experience
with them. On the other hand they are a mature product having been the norm
in many parts of the world, take up less space and have less idle losses
than a standard tank type does. For now I think I will stick with the tank
type, but I could be talked into one if the price was right. I would not
count on the big energy savings some suggest. You are likely to get some
energy savings, but that would depend on your usage profile.

Ahhh mr. Meehan. why do you insist on giving answers to things you
know nothing about? I have worked on quite a few of these and they are
not that much more complex. they are noisy though as they need a power
vent.
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail