Kurt L

Default Leaky Basement

Thanks to all in advance to those who reply

OK here's the scenario

- Living in a semi-detached home.
- Been here for 4 years.
- last year decided to frame a bedroom in the basement to the sharing wall
of my neighbor for my oldest sun.
- I never had anything in that part of the basement so I never noticed any
problems
- After completing the room with Drywall I noticed the rug was wet in the
sharing corner . CRAPPPPPP
- Went outside and got down on my hands and knees and noticed a hair line
crack in the exterior concrete wall.
- So I began the dig and noticed the hair line got bigger.
- I dug down 5 feet but never made it to the footing because the hair line
crack had disappeared.
- washed the entire cracked area and patched the entire crack well below
where I seen the crack disappear. OR so I thought.
- Now with a big rain the carpeting is wet again. It's not really a huge
wet area nor does water come flowing in or anything
But it's really annoying This is also stopping me from completing a
floating floor in that area of the basement

Next project
- I said replacing a bit of drywall is easier than the dig.
- after tearing out the drywall I noticed the same crack coming from the
same place as the exterior.
- Problem is the water coming in from way down below where I patched from
outside.

- My question is.
Is there anything I can do to deal with this from the inside rather than
making the dig again?
Again the water is not coming in in huge quanities Maybe a cupful after a
big rain storm or when it rains for 2 to 3 days at a time.

Again thanks for the reply

Kurt

SQLit

"Kurt L" a wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Digging and drainage outside is the only sure method of stopping the water
that I am aware of.

Trying to plug a hole from out side the boat is usually unsuccessful.

Joseph Meehan

Kurt L wrote:
[...]

You missed step one on any wet basement. Keep the water away from the
foundation. You did not say, but the first step is to make sure the grade
of the soil slopes away from the foundation in all directions and that no
water is directed near the foundation from things like gutters.

If that does not get it, you will need to remove it from the outside,
that is you will end up digging.

Working from the inside just won't do it.

BTW have you checked the local building and safety codes? Adding a
bedroom to a basement is likely to call for special egress codes that are
not required for an unfinished basement.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Ben

"Kurt L" a wrote in message
. ..
[...]

As what others have said, the first thing is to make sure the slope is away
from the basement.

Also, it is always best to fix from outside. However, in my new home we had
two cracks that were sealed from the inside by injection completely through
the crack to the outside. It has been over 5 years with no leak. I have also
ensured a good slope.

The product used by the professional company appears to be the same as:
http://www.polygem.com/repair/lcr.php

Hope this helps...

Ben

Kurt L.

Yeah I know you are all right about fixing the leak from the outside. However I
have no time to do that right now. I will take care of that in the Spring.

I should also say that there are no gutters there. There is a huge overhang
from the roof. So no direct rain can fall in that area withoput it being heavy
winds.

I have at least a 10 inch slope as well.

I will check out the liquid concrete Liquid Concrete repair.
Sounds like a quick fix right now and is what I need in order to finish my
basement.

Thanks for the ideas and replies

Ben wrote:

"Kurt L" a wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Art

A water proofing pro I know recommends Dam It. They have a fast and slow
set. Use the slow. Fast is to fix a hole while water is gushing in. It
worked well for our job but we also fixed the outside problems. In another
job where we couldn't fix the outside problems right away it held for about
a year before we saw moisture again.

"Kurt L." a wrote in
message ...
Yeah I know you are all right about fixing the leak from the outside.
However I
have no time to do that right now. I will take care of that in the
Spring.

I should also say that there are no gutters there. There is a huge
overhang
from the roof. So no direct rain can fall in that area withoput it being
heavy
winds.

I have at least a 10 inch slope as well.

I will check out the liquid concrete Liquid Concrete repair.
Sounds like a quick fix right now and is what I need in order to finish my
basement.

Thanks for the ideas and replies

Ben wrote:

"Kurt L" a wrote in
message
. ..
[...]

Ben

I will check out the liquid concrete Liquid Concrete repair.
Sounds like a quick fix right now and is what I need in order to finish my
basement.

If you use the LCR approach, in my opinion, it should be an excellent fix.
When I had an outside company do this same technique the warranty was for 10
years.

Ben