MAUREEN ROAN

Default Pellet stove venting/outside air

I'm installing a pellet stove insert in a masonry fireplace that is located
in the center of my home (no access to an outside wall) and would like to
add a outside air connection. I'm installing the exhaust flue (probably 4")
inside of a 10 inch diameter SS re-lined chimney. Can I terminate the
outside air connection inside of the chimney just above the damper blockoff
plate, assuming that I run the exhaust flue all the way up the chimney to
the cap (about 15 vertical feet)?

thanks in advance,

Assuming you're having a local professional do this install, that is
the person I'd ask about these options, because of familiarity with
equipment and local code requirements.

HTH,

MAUREEN ROAN

Thanks for the suggestion. You might think that there would be consensus
among installers, but I could not find one. Not many installers (mainly,
chimney sweeps and maintenance people) that I spoke to felt that an outside
air connection was desirable. I wrote the manufacturer and he said that
outside air connection was "recommended", but no recommendation was found in
the installation guide. The local code does not contain any recommendations
for outside air for any kind of fireplace or fireplace insert.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Assuming you're having a local professional do this install, that is
the person I'd ask about these options, because of familiarity with
equipment and local code requirements.

HTH,

Trekking Tom

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:27:55 GMT, "MAUREEN ROAN"
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. You might think that there would be consensus
among installers, but I could not find one. Not many installers (mainly,
chimney sweeps and maintenance people) that I spoke to felt that an outside
air connection was desirable. I wrote the manufacturer and he said that
outside air connection was "recommended", but no recommendation was found in
the installation guide. The local code does not contain any recommendations
for outside air for any kind of fireplace or fireplace insert.

I used the outside air for my pellet stove to burn. Why spent money to
heat the air then send it through the stove and outside. Beside cold
or warm air burns the same. Mine had a small intake tube in back I
increased the size to the 3" dryer vent pipe and used the same type of
vent hood with the flap removed. Works good

Tom

Goedjn

I'm installing a pellet stove insert in a masonry fireplace that is located
in the center of my home (no access to an outside wall) and would like to
add a outside air connection. I'm installing the exhaust flue (probably 4")
inside of a 10 inch diameter SS re-lined chimney. Can I terminate the
outside air connection inside of the chimney just above the damper blockoff
plate, assuming that I run the exhaust flue all the way up the chimney to
the cap (about 15 vertical feet)?

If you suck the outside air down alongside the exhaust pipe,
you'll cool the exhaust pipe. I don't know if that's
an issue with pellet stoves, but it would be with a woodstove.
Also, unless you put some sort of baffle at the top, you risk
sucking the rapidly cooling exhaust gasses back down the
chimney as they exit the exhaust pipe. I can't offhand
think of any terribly awful consequences of that, but it's
probably not the behavior you want.

MAUREEN ROAN

You make some good points, but I don't think that a pellet stove sucks that
much air. That being said, why worry about any outside air connection?
I'll be running a 4 inch exhaust pipe up an 11 inch chimney liner. So why
not draw down outside air around the 4 inch exhaust? Does it make sense? I
guess it depends on the "air tightness" of your home. The manufacturers
stipulate that an outside air connection is absolutely mandatory in a mobile
home installation. My question then is: why not in a non-mobile home? If
you have modern windows (which I am in the process of installing), any home
could be air tight (not just mobile homes). And if you're running the
pellet stove 24 hours a day, it might deplete a significant amount of air if
there's no outside connection. Of course, all houses leak to some degree.
My original question deals with whether not it's advisable to provide an
outside air connection in a home that's not a mobile home.
"Goedjn" wrote in message

[...]

Jamestown Pellet Stove Support Suck in US.. Steve Home Repair 14 November 26th 05 12:56 PM
Pellet stove Crossword Home Repair 162 October 3rd 05 02:05 AM
Help! Wood stove heat regulation? Bill Home Ownership 4 September 30th 05 02:54 AM
Installing pellet stove into existing prefab wood stove chimney northcountry Home Repair 2 May 16th 05 03:53 PM
advice on pellet stove purchase Peter Santoro Home Repair 3 September 10th 04 03:30 PM