Lesley

Default Fallen Tree & Insurance question

I just had something like this happen to me. During a recent wind
storm, a branch from a tree in front of my house fell on a car across
the street, causing over $2,000 in damage. The owner of the car
contacted me immediately. I'm a new homeowner so I freaked out and
called my insurance agent. She informed me, calmly, that unless
someone can prove (or I admit to) negligence on my part, my homeowner's
policy doesn't cover damage to OTHER PEOPLE'S PROPERTY. Apparently, in
NY State anyway, that's the way it works. So if your car is damaged by
someone else's tree, you have to file a claim with your own car
insurance company. If the tree branch had damaged their house or
garage, they would file a claim with THEIR homeowner's insurance, not
mine.

That's how it works in NY State, anyway. . .

Lesley