john246

Default Steel door question

We have a Stanley steel entrance door (with 9 small panes),,this door is
about 18 yrs old & in very good condition except for the vinyl grid that
surrounds the window,,it has cracked this yr & I would like to replace it
or the door...I don't need a new frame,,just the door ..is there anyway to
buy just the vinyl grid or can any door be bought to fit in as a
replacement..I would like to do this ASAP..Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

"john246" wrote in message
We have a Stanley steel entrance door (with 9 small panes),,this door is
about 18 yrs old & in very good condition except for the vinyl grid that
surrounds the window,,it has cracked this yr & I would like to replace it
or the door...I don't need a new frame,,just the door ..is there anyway to
buy just the vinyl grid or can any door be bought to fit in as a
replacement..I would like to do this ASAP..Thanks

Why not contact Stanley door or one of their dealers?

Mikepier

I think its actually called Masonite now instead of Stanley. Check the
website.

Rich

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think its actually called Masonite now instead of Stanley. Check the
website.

Masonite Corp., http://www.masonite.com, acquired Stanley Works Entry Door
Division
http://www.masonite.com/Globalpdf/pd...nley_Works.pdf

Stanley Works still exists, http://www.stanleyworks.com. They sell various
other products.

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

Duane Bozarth

john246 wrote:

We have a Stanley steel entrance door (with 9 small panes),,this door is
about 18 yrs old & in very good condition except for the vinyl grid that
surrounds the window,,it has cracked this yr & I would like to replace it
or the door...I don't need a new frame,,just the door ..is there anyway to
buy just the vinyl grid or can any door be bought to fit in as a
replacement..I would like to do this ASAP..Thanks

Most places of decent size have one or more metal door/window
manufacturers who will deal w/ retail sales. You might try that route
to see if you can get replacement seals that will work.

It is possible to get a door alone, but should be possible to repair
existing--as someone else noted Stanley no longer is in the door/window
business.

RicodJour

john246 wrote:
We have a Stanley steel entrance door (with 9 small panes),,this door is
about 18 yrs old & in very good condition except for the vinyl grid that
surrounds the window,,it has cracked this yr & I would like to replace it
or the door...I don't need a new frame,,just the door ..is there anyway to
buy just the vinyl grid or can any door be bought to fit in as a
replacement..I would like to do this ASAP..Thanks

Not sure what success you'll have in getting a plastic part for a 20
year old door - only the door manufacturer can answer that one. If you
don't luck out, you can make just the perimeter of the frame (the part
that actually holds the glass in place) out of Azek, and paint it. The
interior part of the grid, which is just decoration, could be
replicated with the self-adhesive lead strips that emulate
leaded-glass. Try Van Dykes' online catalog.

Replacing the door is pretty straightforward as you can use the
existing as a template. It will take a bit of time though to get
everything cut, planed and adjusted. All things considered, pulling
the old door frame and installing a pre-hung unit would be the simplest
and probably fastest - maybe even cheapest if you value your time and
don't need a high-end door.

FACE

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:43:27 -0400, "john246"
wrote:

We have a Stanley steel entrance door (with 9 small panes),,this door is
about 18 yrs old & in very good condition except for the vinyl grid that
surrounds the window,,it has cracked this yr & I would like to replace it
or the door...I don't need a new frame,,just the door ..is there anyway to
buy just the vinyl grid or can any door be bought to fit in as a
replacement..I would like to do this ASAP..Thanks

Been there with the bay window vinyl. 20 years of sun and weather
left the vinyl parts over the steel grid of panes (actually one piece
of glass with the grid pattern over it, so i understand) cracked.
I used black vinyl tape, cut to fit, lightly stretched, and just put
it over the black vinyl. Looks fine. Cost about 30 minutes and a few
cents worth of tape.

FACE