Alex

Default easy-to-answer fridge question!

Hello,

I've recently acquired a used refrigerator from a friend. She said
that I should let it sit for at least 20 or 24 hours before I hook it
up, but I have looked online and nowhere does it say that. What's
actually up?

Thanks much,
Alex

David Martel

Alex,

After a refrigerator is moved it is a good idea to wait before turning
it on to allow the oil that the condenser uses to settle down into the
condenser. So, turn the fridge thermostat to "off", do all of the hook up,
and wait a day, then turn the thermostat to the normal setting which you
intend to use. 24 hrs. seems like overkill but waiting this long would be
safe.

Dave M.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Alex" wrote in message
I've recently acquired a used refrigerator from a friend. She said
that I should let it sit for at least 20 or 24 hours before I hook it
up, but I have looked online and nowhere does it say that. What's
actually up?

If it was transported laying down, that would be true. If not, not a
problem. any oil that would have been disturbed in a little tilting is
already settled by the time you read this.

Stormin Mormon

Piston compressors such as in some refrig don't pump liquid. If you
transport a fridge on the side, there is a chance some of the lubricating
oil will get into the piston.

Upright for 24 hours gives it a chance to drain out of the piston. I have
personally seen fridges which were ruined by the "on the side"
transportation.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with AC, or dehumidifiers, or other equipment.
Wonder why fridge compressors are so persnikety?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

oups.com...