Don

Default Fireplace Blower?

I have an existing wood burning fireplace which does not have a blower. I
was wondering if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket blower which can be
easily installed. Possibly a log holder which has a fan built into it?

Thanks

Jim & Lil

"Don" wrote in message
I have an existing wood burning fireplace which does not have a blower. I
was wondering if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket blower which can
be easily installed. Possibly a log holder which has a fan built into it?

Thanks

A Google search for "fireplace blower" brought up 288,000 hits...try here

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...Search &meta=

SQLit

"Don" wrote in message
I have an existing wood burning fireplace which does not have a blower. I
was wondering if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket blower which can

be
easily installed. Possibly a log holder which has a fan built into it?

Thanks

I had one that I threw away after a couple of weeks. The noise was hideous.
Really did not add much more heat to the room. I ended up with a polished
plate of stainless in the back to reflect the heat out of the fire box. Have
not a clue if it really helped, but it was quiet and the flames dancing on
the stainless were pretty.

Friend (a machinist) tried that years ago. Then he checked out the
little woodstove I had, made a copy of it, and forgot all about the
fireplace.

Because it was (and is) obvious that a fireplace is a ventilator, not a
heating device. Nice to look at, but so is a woodstove with lots of
glass in the door(s). All that airflow up chimney from fireplace is the
efficiency-killer, more so the greater the difference between indoor
and outdoor temp, not to mention the hours the damper is open while the
fire dies.

Thin-wall tubing sitting right next to fire will not last long, either.

Sorry 'bout that.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Don" wrote in message
I have an existing wood burning fireplace which does not have a blower. I
was wondering if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket blower which can
be easily installed. Possibly a log holder which has a fan built into it?

You'll do just as well with a small fan in the room. Get a 10" box fan

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Don" wrote in message

I have an existing wood burning fireplace which does not have a blower. I
was wondering if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket blower which can
be easily installed. Possibly a log holder which has a fan built into it?

You'll do just as well with a small fan in the room. Get a 10" box fan

Too many variables to be able to say that with
certainty.

When I moved into my house, the fireplace was
poorly designed with incorrect dimensions. It
sucked warm air out so that there was a minus heat
gain. I added glass doors, it helped, retain heat
but there was still little heat gain. I had my
FIL weld up a box about 2 inches deep that would
just fit behind the grate against the back of the
firebox (about 18 x 24 inches). Added a square
tube at the front that fit under the bottom of the
glass door frame and was blocked in the middle but
had fitting to blow air into one end the box and
return it to the far side of the square tube. I
used stainless steel flexible pipe (for auto
exhaust systems) to connect the front tube with
the box. Drove air through the box with a small
squirrel cage fan. The most important factor was
the cfm of the fan.

This system provide a huge heat gain from the
fireplace. Circulating air without this system
would help improve the temp, but would add little
heat gain, minor transfer from the glass.
Edwin Pawlowski

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

I have an existing wood burning fireplace which does not have a blower. I
was wondering if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket blower which can
be easily installed. Possibly a log holder which has a fan built into it?

You'll do just as well with a small fan in the room. Get a 10" box fan

Too many variables to be able to say that with certainty.

You're right. First reading a Franklin stove came to mind where a fan
gently passing some air over it moves the heat.

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

I have an existing wood burning fireplace which does not have a blower. I
was wondering if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket blower which can
be easily installed. Possibly a log holder which has a fan built into it?

You'll do just as well with a small fan in the room. Get a 10" box fan

Too many variables to be able to say that with certainty.

You're right. First reading a Franklin stove came to mind where a fan
gently passing some air over it moves the heat.

Damn! Doesn't that just **** you off when you go
back and it says something different than you
thought. Anyway, I agree a fan by a stove,
especially a multiple speed one, works marvels.