Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Junior Member

Default Dryer Flips Breaker A Lot When Using Heat

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could suggest my next step (whether to get the dryer fixed or electrical fixed).

I have a nearly new GE electric dryer and it works great for the most part. When I use the "fluff" dry cycle it never flips the breaker. If I turn it to the "low heat" setting, it sometimes works OK, but I have to have a pretty small load and the clothes have to be somewhat dry already. If I turn it on any heat setting with a wet load, the breaker flips almost immediately. I try to dry clothes using the "fluff" cycle until I can turn it on to low heat.

It has a double 50 AMP circuit breaker for the 220 line. I don't know if the dryer had this problem before I moved here because I just bought it (and it was used, but again, it's not more than a year or two old). I'm thinking it might be a weak breaker, but if there's some sort of diagnostic I can do to see if it's the dryer or the electrical, that would be great. My dad brought his voltage meter with him and it doesn't seem to be pulling too much current. He's an electrician. I think he said that it must be the breaker, but I'm just not sure who to call to get a final fix on this.

Does this sound like just a breaker problem? (It's really hard to get my landlord to fix things.) Or is it my dryer?

Dryer keeps tripping the circuit breaker [email protected] Home Repair 9 February 11th 18 06:14 AM
Whirlpool Condensor Dryer - No Heat AWZ- 541 Need Advice !!! UK diy 2 May 15th 05 11:15 AM
Clothes Dryer Breaker Wayne Hummer Home Repair 4 November 2nd 04 04:18 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Dryer flips main circuit breaker occasionally D P Home Repair 8 March 28th 04 05:19 AM