Kyle Boatright

Default Shingle Siding/Corner Boards

Our house has cedar shingle siding that is 30+ years old and is ready for
replacement. The current installation doesn't have corner boards, and the
contractors I've talked with all recommend corner boards to avoid leaks.
I've done some research and have found approved installation methods that
don't require corner boards (you either stagger the corner shingles or bevil
them).

From a personal standpoint, I don't like the appearance of corner boards,
and don't want to add them unless they are really necessary. On the other
hand, my first priority is keeping the water out, and my second priority is
appearance.

Does anyone in this forum have experience in this area? What's the current
thinking on corner boards?

Opinions appreciated.

KB

tom

You can also install flashing cards, bent around the corner, to help
with weather resistance. They work just like they might at a roof/wall
interface. Tom

RicodJour

Kyle Boatright wrote:
Our house has cedar shingle siding that is 30+ years old and is ready for
replacement. The current installation doesn't have corner boards, and the
contractors I've talked with all recommend corner boards to avoid leaks.
I've done some research and have found approved installation methods that
don't require corner boards (you either stagger the corner shingles or bevil
them).

From a personal standpoint, I don't like the appearance of corner boards,
and don't want to add them unless they are really necessary. On the other
hand, my first priority is keeping the water out, and my second priority is
appearance.

Does anyone in this forum have experience in this area? What's the current
thinking on corner boards?

Opinions appreciated.

Someone is giving you a line of crap. If the corner shingles are woven
(you called it staggered) it's tighter and less likely to leak than
having a continuous gap, whether it's caulked or not, running up the
entire height of the siding.

If you do go without corner boards, make sure the corners are woven.
It's not only weathertightness, but appearance and the corners are less
likely to open up.

As another poster mentioned, you can use building paper bent over the
top of each succesive course - think of it as vertical step flashing.

CR

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
news
Our house has cedar shingle siding that is 30+ years old and is ready for
replacement. The current installation doesn't have corner boards, and the
contractors I've talked with all recommend corner boards to avoid leaks.
I've done some research and have found approved installation methods that
don't require corner boards (you either stagger the corner shingles or
bevil
them).

From a personal standpoint, I don't like the appearance of corner boards,
and don't want to add them unless they are really necessary. On the other
hand, my first priority is keeping the water out, and my second priority

is
appearance.

Does anyone in this forum have experience in this area? What's the

current
thinking on corner boards?

Opinions appreciated.

KB

Usually inside corners are done with a board but outside corners are
staggered. Sounds like the contractor is trying to save himself a little
time. I usually cut the shingle that laps just a hair wider that it needs to
be and then take one or two passes with a small hand plane to fare it in to
the other shingle.

CR

Need advice on replacing lap boards FACE Home Repair 2 September 11th 05 01:21 AM
Replacing lap siding boards FACE Home Repair 0 September 7th 05 03:25 PM
Easy way to cover old skirting boards with new ones? Mark Home Repair 1 February 28th 05 12:37 PM
Wooden Floors andrewpreece UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:03 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM