Rob

Default Oil-Based Paint Question

My stone house has some exposed wood around the windows an along the
roofline. I know in the past that the best paint to use on this house
was oil-based since it seemed to stay on the old wood for a lot longer
than latex would. Some of the exposed wood is 200 years old which can
present some challenges.

I am painting this fall and I already have a few gallons of oil-based
primer. For the finish coat, am I restricted to only using an oil-based
finish coat or can I use latex obver an oil based primer (or if I can,
would I want to for decent results)? If I am restrited to oil for the
top coat, what are some recommendations for a specific brand, or
characteristics to look for?

Thanks in advance for any information/insights.

Rob
Duane Bozarth

Rob wrote:

My stone house has some exposed wood around the windows an along the
roofline. I know in the past that the best paint to use on this house
was oil-based since it seemed to stay on the old wood for a lot longer
than latex would. Some of the exposed wood is 200 years old which can
present some challenges.

I am painting this fall and I already have a few gallons of oil-based
primer. For the finish coat, am I restricted to only using an oil-based
finish coat or can I use latex obver an oil based primer (or if I can,
would I want to for decent results)?

Depends on the primer--some (actually, most now) are designed for
either oil or water-based finish coats while others aren't. The cans
you have will say.

...If I am restrited to oil for the
top coat, what are some recommendations for a specific brand, or
characteristics to look for?

You probably aren't restricted, see above. Premium paints from
reputable vendors primarily. This is more a religious question than
otherwise--everybody who posts in response will have their own personal
favorite and horror story about somebody else's. In general, as in
other areas, "you get what you pay for" is a valid saw.

Irrespective of age, surface prep is the most important factor and that
has to happen prior to the prime coat going on. If you have old,
weathered surfaces, cleaning and washing w/ a wood renewer containing
oxalic acid is almost a necessity in order to get a fresh surface to
which new paint will adhere. If there is existing tightly bonded paint,
a good wash and scuff-sand will do the trick.
dadiOH

Rob wrote:
My stone house has some exposed wood around the windows an along the
roofline. I know in the past that the best paint to use on this house
was oil-based since it seemed to stay on the old wood for a lot longer
than latex would. Some of the exposed wood is 200 years old which can
present some challenges.

I am painting this fall and I already have a few gallons of oil-based
primer. For the finish coat, am I restricted to only using an
oil-based finish coat or can I use latex obver an oil based primer
(or if I can, would I want to for decent results)?

Generally, you can use either over primers but I'm sure there are
exceptions so follow the instructions on the primer can. IMO, oil
primer is the preferred product (as opposed to latex primer).

As far as top coats go, I personally dislike latex - especially over
wood as it doesn't flow well and is next to impossible to sand.
*HOWEVER*, a good latex on exterior stuff seems to do better than oil so
my choice would be latex over oil primer.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

As a general rule you can always use latex over a
oil based paint but not an oil over a latex.

Stay away from big box store paint.. garbage. A
better choice is togo to your local paint store.

The "newer" high build paints are a good choice in
latex. ex: SherwinWilliams Duration and ICI "This
old house" paint line
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:23:03 GMT, Rob
wrote:

My stone house has some exposed wood around the windows an along the
roofline. I know in the past that the best paint to use on this house
was oil-based since it seemed to stay on the old wood for a lot longer
than latex would. Some of the exposed wood is 200 years old which can
present some challenges.

I am painting this fall and I already have a few gallons of oil-based
primer. For the finish coat, am I restricted to only using an oil-based
finish coat or can I use latex obver an oil based primer (or if I can,
would I want to for decent results)? If I am restrited to oil for the
top coat, what are some recommendations for a specific brand, or
characteristics to look for?

Thanks in advance for any information/insights.

Rob

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Painting horror - interior wall. Steven L Umbach Home Repair 26 September 1st 05 07:39 PM
interior paint question Melissa Home Repair 19 June 28th 05 01:12 AM
Paint Question Dorot29701 Home Repair 2 January 17th 05 03:22 AM
exterior paint adhering or not? Gary C Home Repair 3 November 2nd 03 10:57 AM