dean

Default How to wind a trimmer wire to stop it knotting up?

Any tips here? I have a Honda trimmer, I did read the instructions
carefully and try to wind the trimmer cable tight and hold it while I
insert it into the head. But it does bind up occassionally. Can I spray
oil onto the cable to lubricate it?

Thanks!

Dean

twfsa

This seems to help when I re-wind my trimer spool, don't put as much on as
they recomend, and re-wind the new string in the direction it comes off the
replacement spool on to your trimer spool. I am twisting the replacment
string as I wind it onto the trimer spool, seems to work better and not jam
up.

Tom

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any tips here? I have a Honda trimmer, I did read the instructions
carefully and try to wind the trimmer cable tight and hold it while I
insert it into the head. But it does bind up occassionally. Can I spray
oil onto the cable to lubricate it?

Thanks!

Dean

Nick Hull

In article UmO0f.3673$sE3.92@lakeread07, "twfsa"
wrote:

This seems to help when I re-wind my trimer spool, don't put as much on as
they recomend, and re-wind the new string in the direction it comes off the
replacement spool on to your trimer spool. I am twisting the replacment
string as I wind it onto the trimer spool, seems to work better and not jam
up.

Tom

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any tips here? I have a Honda trimmer, I did read the instructions
carefully and try to wind the trimmer cable tight and hold it while I
insert it into the head. But it does bind up occassionally. Can I spray
oil onto the cable to lubricate it?

I wet the string for a minute before winding, it seems to work much
better

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
dean

Tom - are you saying you wind it on in the opposite way that it
naturally curves?

dean

Are you saying it stays wet and thus comes out more easily as you use
it?

Nick Hull

In article .com,
"dean" wrote:

Are you saying it stays wet and thus comes out more easily as you use
it?

No, it's not that wet. Just wet enough when you wind it to make it wind
flatter and it seems to 'weld' together less. I might wind it damp
today and not use it for a week, it's surely dry by then but still works
better.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
dean

Ok I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

Dean

dean

Ok I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

Dean

Gideon

Dean,

I've tried oil on the cable and it helps, but not as much as
I had hoped. I've considered hitting it with some spray from
a can of white lithium grease. It can't hurt and I'll be trying
that the next time that I have to reload the reel. I'm desperate
enough to try axle grease if necessary.

Just remember that there is always the risk of getting some
oil or grease sprayed onto nearby objects, including your
shoes, pants or legs. There is also a very small risk that
the oil or grease will attack the plastic housing or the string.

Good luck,
Gideon

twfsa

If you can wind it on your trimer spool the way it comes off the bulk spool
it won't tangle up,or at least it hasn't for me. Before I started doing it
this way , I would have to stop and pull out line all the time. I know htis
is hard to explain, the easiet way to see what I mean is to visit a bait and
tackle shop that re-winds bait casting reels, to see how the line comes off
the bulk spool onto the reel.

Try and do a google search on how to rewind line on a bait casting fishing
reel, maybe they have some pictures.

Tom

oups.com...