HotRod

Default laser guided backhoe?

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how a laser guided backhoe
works? How does the machine determine where the bucket is? Is this in
relation to the backhoe or a ground mounted laser?

DanG

The rotating laser is ground mounted on a tripod. Some equipment
can have the laser actually work the hydraulics to raise or lower
the blade. This technology works well with graders and box
blades. It is cheaper and more usual to have a receiver that
indicates to the operator "up" or "down". In the case of a
backhoe, one would mount the laser receiver somewhere on the boom
that the operator can see and/or hear. The laser can also be shot
down the pipe for super accuracy.

The one we use is from this company:
http://www.spectralasers.com/

(top posted for your convenience)