Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
miamicuse

Default Show I give the plumbing contractor my house key?

I am about to start a project to have a contractor tunnel under the house to
access the underground plumbing for repair. Other methods (breaking slabs,
trenchless etc...) have been explored and no luck. The plumber will be doing
plumbing work but the actual tunneling will be done by subs (laborers he
finds). The problem may take three to five days, and longer if it rains.
So now, the contractor asked if I could give him the key to my house (while
we are out working during the day) so they can get inside to get a drink or
to use the bathroom.

I have not used this contractor before. I am a little worried, first, if
they are tunneling, they will not be very clean and in the middle of the day
walking across our carpet to use the boys room may not be a good idea,
especially since we are talking about a leaking sewer line. Also we don't
know the subs (and he gives me the impression he does not know the subs too
well either, for all I know he may get them a highway ramp exits) so
security is also a concern. But I do understand they will be working hard
and be under the sun digging for several days. So what is the proper
protocol? Is it normally expected to provide access to the house on jobs
like these or should I arrange for a portable toilet, or is this the job of
the contractor?

Thanks,

MC

Foundation repair Dan_Musicant Home Repair 4 September 5th 05 03:28 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
bath along or across joists? (further stories from the house fromhell) Seri UK diy 7 March 12th 04 03:56 PM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Repair 8 March 4th 04 05:40 AM
New Home Slab Plumbing Catastrophe jim Home Repair 22 July 29th 03 04:09 AM