Colbyt

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I am about to start a project to have a contractor tunnel under the house

access the underground plumbing for repair. Other methods (breaking slabs,
trenchless etc...) have been explored and no luck. The plumber will be

doing
plumbing work but the actual tunneling will be done by subs (laborers he
finds). The problem may take three to five days, and longer if it rains.
So now, the contractor asked if I could give him the key to my house

(while
we are out working during the day) so they can get inside to get a drink

or
to use the bathroom.

I have not used this contractor before. I am a little worried, first, if
they are tunneling, they will not be very clean and in the middle of the

day
walking across our carpet to use the boys room may not be a good idea,
especially since we are talking about a leaking sewer line. Also we don't
know the subs (and he gives me the impression he does not know the subs

too
well either, for all I know he may get them a highway ramp exits) so
security is also a concern. But I do understand they will be working hard
and be under the sun digging for several days. So what is the proper
protocol? Is it normally expected to provide access to the house on jobs
like these or should I arrange for a portable toilet, or is this the job

of
the contractor?

Thanks,

MC

I think you have expressed your concerns very well here. If I were you I
would say the same thing to the contractor and see what he says.

I do mostly clean work installing window treatments. People leave their
homes open for me or hide a key all the time. Not that I have anything worth
stealing but I personally could never do that.

What and how you feel about it is the issue. I would leave a cooler full of
drinks and the contractor can provide a john or I would not be upset if they
peed in the yard. YMMV.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.