ap

Default smells from painting house

Hello,
Our association has told us to paint the
exterior of the house. We spoke with a
contractor who uses Sherwin Williams brand
of paints but advised us that if we're allergic
to new paint smells, we should stay away from the house
for several days.

Is this really necessary?

Is there a solution to the new paint smells?
Does this depend on the quality of the paint?

THANKS!

George

ap wrote:
Hello,
Our association has told us to paint the
exterior of the house. We spoke with a
contractor who uses Sherwin Williams brand
of paints but advised us that if we're allergic
to new paint smells, we should stay away from the house
for several days.

Is this really necessary?

Is there a solution to the new paint smells?
Does this depend on the quality of the paint?

THANKS!

It sounds like the painter may have got taken over the coals in a
lawsuit and is now issuing the usual "do not use this electrical
appliance while in the pool" and "do not place this plastic bag over
your head" warnings.

Is this a pre-complaint? Or based on a real problem?

Brand of paint, vice type of paint (alkyd/acrylic) would seem to be
irrelevant. Never heard of paint allergy. True, some of the solvents
can be pretty noxious in closed space- nothing to do with allergy.

Alkyd ("oil") paint is definitely the more potentially noxious. But
.... on the exterior, solvents should dissipate very quickly. You do
have the option of closing windows & doors, and going inside, at
end-of-day. You might have slight problem if they're going to paint the
window frames (and have to open them.) Natural ventilation (wind)
should dissipate solvents, with help of solar-heating.

George E. Cawthon

George wrote:
ap wrote:

Hello,
Our association has told us to paint the
exterior of the house. We spoke with a
contractor who uses Sherwin Williams brand
of paints but advised us that if we're allergic
to new paint smells, we should stay away from the house
for several days.

Is this really necessary?

Is there a solution to the new paint smells?
Does this depend on the quality of the paint?

THANKS!

It sounds like the painter may have got taken over the coals in a
lawsuit and is now issuing the usual "do not use this electrical
appliance while in the pool" and "do not place this plastic bag over
your head" warnings.

I don't think so. What he is saying is what many
people don't want to believe. If paint smells
bother you, there is not one damn thing you can do
to eliminate the smells. Masking the smell, for
example, does not get rid of the basic odor, and
won't eliminate breathing problems by those that
are easily affected by paint smells.

The point is, if you or anyone in your family is
sensitivity to paint smells or any other finishing
material, keep them away while the paint or finish
is curing. Putting vanilla or other stuff in the
paint is not going to reduce the problems for
those sensitive to paint and finish smells.

Like I said, people don't want to believe there is
no magic way of removing the problem, but there
isn't. The only solution is time (away from the
smells).
NickySantoro

On 27 Sep 2005 13:18:14 -0700, "ap" wrote:

Hello,
Our association has told us to paint the
exterior of the house. We spoke with a
contractor who uses Sherwin Williams brand
of paints but advised us that if we're allergic
to new paint smells, we should stay away from the house
for several days.

Is this really necessary?

Is there a solution to the new paint smells?
Does this depend on the quality of the paint?

THANKS!

I know of no low odor exterior paints. Either keep the windows closed
or GTF out of Dodge for a few days.

Phisherman

On 27 Sep 2005 13:18:14 -0700, "ap" wrote:

Hello,
Our association has told us to paint the
exterior of the house. We spoke with a
contractor who uses Sherwin Williams brand
of paints but advised us that if we're allergic
to new paint smells, we should stay away from the house
for several days.

Is this really necessary?

Is there a solution to the new paint smells?
Does this depend on the quality of the paint?

THANKS!

If you are allergic, staying away is the best solution. Be
particularly concerned with aquariums and birds. New paint smell can
be reduced by adding an ounce of (real) vanilla extract to a gallon of
paint. Even good paint has a smell.