Longshot

Default stoping a leak in basement

I have a drain pipe going through the poured concrete in my basement wall,
it only leaks around the pipe (4" PVC) I tried to caulk it but it didn't
work. any other ideas?

Thanks!

Rob

No

Is leak coming from inside the pipe or is it groundwater coming in from
outside?

if from outside - you need to keep the water away from the pipe to begin
with. fix the outside grade so it slopes away from house. Clean out the
gutters, extend the downspouts, etc.

If pipe itself is actually leaking - You will need to replace the damaged
section of pipe. You may need to chisel out the concrete, cut back the
damaged section, put on a coupling to reconnect to old pipe. Use PVC primer
and cement to make coupling.

If your lucky you may need a coupling piece only, depending on the damage to
the pipe.

-B

"Longshot" wrote in message
I have a drain pipe going through the poured concrete in my basement wall,
it only leaks around the pipe (4" PVC) I tried to caulk it but it didn't
work. any other ideas?

Thanks!

Rob

Unfortunately, the simplest way is to find the source of the leak, and
fix it. Probably involves replacing section of pipe, or at least
clamping on an external patch.

HTH,

Toller

"Longshot" wrote in message
I have a drain pipe going through the poured concrete in my basement wall,
it only leaks around the pipe (4" PVC) I tried to caulk it but it didn't
work. any other ideas?

Is the pipe leaking, or ground water?

Stormin Mormon

"Great Stuff" comes to mind.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Longshot" wrote in message
I have a drain pipe going through the poured concrete in my basement wall,
it only leaks around the pipe (4" PVC) I tried to caulk it but it didn't
work. any other ideas?

Thanks!

Rob

Stormin Mormon

The implication was that the leak was ground water, seeping in around the
pipe. Not that the pipe was leaking.

However, the original poster didn't specify. We need more information.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Unfortunately, the simplest way is to find the source of the leak, and
fix it. Probably involves replacing section of pipe, or at least
clamping on an external patch.

HTH,

Lawrence Glickman

Bentonite injected against the exterior wall
and/or
hydraulic cement applied from inside. It expands as it hardens.

Lg

Longshot

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The implication was that the leak was ground water, seeping in around the
pipe. Not that the pipe was leaking.

this is correct. ground water seepage