runpup

Default Power but no A/C

I have lost power in my house about a dozen times for 5 to 10 seconds
at a time over the last 36 hours. The last time it happened everything
came back up except the air conditioning. I went in the backyard to
check on the compressor. The fan is not running but it turns freely.
Also I hear a low electric buzz coming from the unit. When I turn the
a/c off at the thermostat, the buzz stops.
Does anyone have any suggestion of what I might do, since the chances
of getting a service tech here in the next few days is nill?

RBM

The power (24 volts) that pulls in the relay in the condenser is what you
are hearing. It comes from the blower unit. The power (240 volts) for the
condensing unit is probably off. If this situation has affected your entire
house, you may have a problem with one of the legs feeding your service and
really should call the electric company or an electrician. The only thing
you can safely do is to check that all the circuit breakers are in the on
position

"runpup" wrote in message
news
I have lost power in my house about a dozen times for 5 to 10 seconds
at a time over the last 36 hours. The last time it happened everything
came back up except the air conditioning. I went in the backyard to
check on the compressor. The fan is not running but it turns freely.
Also I hear a low electric buzz coming from the unit. When I turn the
a/c off at the thermostat, the buzz stops.
Does anyone have any suggestion of what I might do, since the chances
of getting a service tech here in the next few days is nill?

Dr. Hardcrab

"runpup" wrote in message
news
I have lost power in my house about a dozen times for 5 to 10 seconds
at a time over the last 36 hours. The last time it happened everything
came back up except the air conditioning. I went in the backyard to
check on the compressor. The fan is not running but it turns freely.
Also I hear a low electric buzz coming from the unit. When I turn the
a/c off at the thermostat, the buzz stops.
Does anyone have any suggestion of what I might do, since the chances
of getting a service tech here in the next few days is nill?

2 things to check:

1) Check the fuses in the disconnect. That's the black, grey 9whatevercolor0
box usually attached to the house that has the main power line running from
it to the outdoor unit. If you don't have a meter, checnge both with the
same size fuse.

or

2) Check your circuit breaker panel. Look for a double pole breaker that is
off or tripped. Turn it all the way off and then back on again. If it kicks
right back off, call in the professionals......

SQLit

"runpup" wrote in message
news
I have lost power in my house about a dozen times for 5 to 10 seconds
at a time over the last 36 hours. The last time it happened everything
came back up except the air conditioning. I went in the backyard to
check on the compressor. The fan is not running but it turns freely.
Also I hear a low electric buzz coming from the unit. When I turn the
a/c off at the thermostat, the buzz stops.
Does anyone have any suggestion of what I might do, since the chances
of getting a service tech here in the next few days is nill?

I agree with the other posters. Check all of the circuit breakers.

ADDING

Leave the a/c breaker off for 30 minutes. Compressors do not like being
short cycled. Let it rest and hopefully it will come back.

tom

You might look on the outside of the compressor unit for a "reset", or
"high limit reset" button. I'm just takin' a shot here, though. Tom

PC power related questions [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 20th 05 11:28 PM
Power surges Cheryl Home Repair 54 June 25th 04 08:50 PM
POWER SAVING UNIT ? mowhoong Electronics Repair 7 May 7th 04 06:10 AM
need help tracing power circuit on laptop railroadrum Electronics Repair 7 April 16th 04 09:02 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM