Default Video - exploding water heater

Today's paper had an article about checking the relief valve on the
water heater, this link shows a "demonstration" of the power of an
exploding water heater...

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
news
Today's paper had an article about checking the relief valve on the
water heater, this link shows a "demonstration" of the power of an
exploding water heater...

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Neat. Steam sure has lot of power once built up.

Toller

wrote in message
news
Today's paper had an article about checking the relief valve on the
water heater, this link shows a "demonstration" of the power of an
exploding water heater...

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Thanks for posting that.
I just saw a TV show about inventions. It said that exploding water heaters
were pretty common before the T&P valve was invented.

Noozer

wrote in message
news
Today's paper had an article about checking the relief valve on the
water heater, this link shows a "demonstration" of the power of an
exploding water heater...

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Except they don't mention how to check it... Just lift the lever on the
valve/

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:48:29 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Just lift the lever on the valve/

Zackly!

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Toller

"Noozer" wrote in message

wrote in message
news
Today's paper had an article about checking the relief valve on the
water heater, this link shows a "demonstration" of the power of an
exploding water heater...

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Except they don't mention how to check it... Just lift the lever on the
valve/

Yeh, I made that mistake on my 12yo heater. Valve worked fine, but wouldn't
shut off.

@ a 12 gallon tank in the demo... (locomotives I bet were hell!)

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Jeff Wisnia

Today's paper had an article about checking the relief valve on the
water heater, this link shows a "demonstration" of the power of an
exploding water heater...

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Very impressive, but I wonder how much "launch" they would have gotten
if they didn't start them out from down in a hole which must have acted
somewhat like a mortar barrel?

I bet they wouldn't have flown anywhere near as high if they were just
sitting on the ground when they blew.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Harry K

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
Today's paper had an article about checking the relief valve on the
water heater, this link shows a "demonstration" of the power of an
exploding water heater...

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Very impressive, but I wonder how much "launch" they would have gotten
if they didn't start them out from down in a hole which must have acted
somewhat like a mortar barrel?

I bet they wouldn't have flown anywhere near as high if they were just
sitting on the ground when they blew.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Back in the 76/7 oil crisis I saw the results of a steam explosion in a
basement. Neighbor installed an old wood kitchen range with a water
back. Too bad the pipes had been capped and there must have been a bit
of water still in there. Impressive. Total redo of a finished
basement. Fortunately there was no penetration of first floor.

Harry K

Duane Bozarth

Harry K wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I was going to comment lift mightn't have been what it was (but w/ slow
dialup I didn't even try to see the video, but I can imagine having
worked for 30 years w/ high pressure steam cycles even w/o seeing this
example) but that schrapnel would have been much greater...
zero

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:38:15 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I bet they wouldn't have flown anywhere near as high if they were just
sitting on the ground when they blew.
Jeff

Not so high? OK, but not by much. The pressure wants to make a
cylindrical tank round. The ends usually are the first to go vs. a
longitudinal seam. The ends are flat. It usually goes _UP_ due to
years of sediment/scale inside resting on the bottom. Scale act as a
wonderful insulator causing advanced abuse/use on the bottom due to
overheating and loss of elasticity.

This is more typical:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/33094_boom28.shtml

-zero

zero

wrote:

I bet they wouldn't have flown anywhere near as high if they were just
sitting on the ground when they blew.
Jeff

Not so high? OK, but not by much. The pressure wants to make a
cylindrical tank round. The ends usually are the first to go vs. a
longitudinal seam. The ends are flat. It usually goes _UP_ due to
years of sediment/scale inside resting on the bottom. Scale act as a
wonderful insulator causing advanced abuse/use on the bottom due to
overheating and _*_ loss of elasticity.

* read "overheating and then loss...."

This is more typical:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/33094_boom28.shtml

-zero

Edwin Pawlowski

"Toller" wrote in message
Except they don't mention how to check it... Just lift the lever on the
valve/

Yeh, I made that mistake on my 12yo heater. Valve worked fine, but
wouldn't shut off.

I tested mine twice. Had to buy a new valve twice too.

Stretch

Jeff,

Watts used to have a video of one set off above ground. Results were
similiar.

Stretch

Goedjn

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html

Thanks for posting that.
I just saw a TV show about inventions. It said that exploding water heaters
were pretty common before the T&P valve was invented.

I thought that was what fusible plugs were for.

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:00:31 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

I was going to comment lift mightn't have been what it was (but w/ slow
dialup I didn't even try to see the video, but I can imagine having

low resolution (dial-up) link

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/wate...rblast-low.wmv